March or Die thoughts 2021....

On 8/29/2021 at 8:39 PM, GUARDLING said:

True but I also remember PR as well as Cadets ( mike can vouch for the no more war show ) who gave a hand out at shows. With that said, and this also goes to judging. One can watch a show they completely do not understand and appreciate so many aspects of it, musically visually, emotionally.......If they want to IMO

Yup. In 1971, our "America, the Brave" show about the Revolutionary War, we passed out a printed libretto to the crowd, a decade prior to PR doing the same. Dave Shaw wrote it. DCP's own Ironlips, a history major (and our primary brass arranger/instructor) provided the factual information for the libretto. 

In 1972, the "No More War" show, we passed out a placemat sized poster with three photos. One was two young children, a boy and girl, playing. The second was the now-grown boy saying goodbye to his girlfriend (both in uniform, BTW). The third was the young woman standing next to a casket. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

However, Jack Handy understands.

Indeed.  Enough to know what they don't know.  Today it's a frigging superpower.

2 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Another person that needs to re-read it.  We call what you are attempting a "straw man".

Sorry, you lost me on this one.

23 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

My pet peeve is that if Corps are going to have " show themes", then its imperative that at the conclusion of the show, the audience/ judges understand what , via music and visuals, the show theme intended to communicate in performance to the audience. Its even ok if there could be even 2-4 different interpretations by the audience/ judges of what the show was about.

But its NOT ok ( imo ) for the audience/ judges to be confused or found scratching their heads as to what the Corps was attempting to communicate to an audience. Its not ok to for judges to say..... " well, ' not sure what they are attempting to communicate here to me with this show and theme,  but they performed the heck out of this show compared to others in their peer group, and it flowed well, and with sufficient demand, so I am going to give them a high GE score".

I see not much merit in giving undo credit to Corps with shows that might be performed well, but its communication skills to the audience via its theme chosen was not reached as the audience ( including judges ) are confused at the end with what, via music, visuals, you were attempting to convey. We should not be rewarding potential future music educators that music and dance and visuals need not communicate effectively a chosen theme, if performed well. Music and Dance ( and Visuals )are after all, at its most basic fundamental level throughout human history,  the substitute for the spoken or written word. You communicate via song or dance, or music. If the spoken or written words are not intelligible, no matter how eloquently delivered or written, it is understood that the communication failed from the sender to the receiver. It should be the same with music, song and dance.  Especially if you tell us beforehand that you have " a show theme ".  I see not much value thus in rewarding shows where the audience... including GE judges... are confused with the show theme. I also see little nobility in rewarding such sterile and empty shows filled with ( as Shakespeare himself might posit ) " Wonderful Sound and Fury, but, in the end, signifying nothing. "

judges arent scratching their heads. they get a ton of information to explain the show as well as having he benefit of critique

14 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

..I am sure they do listen..but to whom.  I can think of one corps that spends a LOT of money working on judges.  They tend to win a lot as well.  Hmmmm.....

themoreyouknow.gif

so you're saying BD pays judges to win. Can you offer proof of this accusation?

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The bourgeoisie aren’t nearly sophisticated enough to understand their deep thoughts. 

nothing like faux intelligencia as cesario once put it

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Yes.. GE Judges  disregard the " hootin & hollerin ", et al.

as someone who judges GE in a local band circuit....we judge the criteria on the sheets. I am a fan...i know what I like....but "like" isn't on the sheets. Sure I have seen shows that made me cheer out loud, and i may or may not have misted p a time or 3...and not just due to onions nearby. 

here's some inks breaking down GE judging:

https://sunnyslope.guhsdaz.org/s_h_s_web_index/contact_us/faculty_directory/andrew_larusch/viking_pride_band/Frequently_asked_question/marching_band_scoring_explained

https://www.wgi.org/general-effect-faq/