BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I was assuming, and you know what they say about assuming, that they were talking about Ab in the staff.

That had to have been it...and it was impossible on those horns.  The only 1st valve notes around a mid-staff Ab were a F and Bb...the Bb was a full step UP, so moving the slide in wouldn't do anything, and the F was a step and a half down...the only way to move the 1st valve slide in enough to make a Ab would for it to be a trombone slide!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

That had to have been it...and it was impossible on those horns.  The only 1st valve notes around a mid-staff Ab were a F and Bb...the Bb was a full step UP, so moving the slide in wouldn't do anything, and the F was a step and a half down...the only way to move the 1st valve slide in enough to make a Ab would for it to be a trombone slide!

Or really weird rubber lips.

• Haha 2

I think I remember Scott Chandler saying in an interview somewhere that they usually have show concepts lined up about 5 years in advance. Seeing as they had skipped a couple years, I wonder if they’re going with what they were planning for 2022 or going with their 2020 plans (or maybe even their 2021). I’m hoping that an extra couple of years to further develop a show concept would prove beneficial. And I’m looking forward to what that would be!

Edited by Rylan
  • Like 3

On another note, does anyone know why BD is rehearsing in Laramie, WY pre-season this year? Is it just because of logistics? Or something else? 

I live in the Bay Area so I always look forward to dropping in on some of their early season rehearsals in Pittsburg/Concord but I guess not this year. At least DCI West is now a mid-season competition so I get to see a more mature show. So at least there’s that. 🤷🏽

2 hours ago, Rylan said:

I think I remember Scott Chandler saying in an interview somewhere that they usually have show concepts lined up about 5 years in advance. Seeing as they had skipped a couple years, I wonder if they’re going with what they were planning for 2022 or going with their 2020 plans (or maybe even their 2021). I’m hoping that an extra couple of years to further develop a show concept would prove beneficial. And I’m looking forward to what that would be!

I mean, if the purpose of the shows are to win, and BD wins a bunch, then further developing a show concept could actually undo some of the magic instead of make them win even more....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

I mean, if the purpose of the shows are to win, and BD wins a bunch, then further developing a show concept could actually undo some of the magic instead of make them win even more....

Um.. Great point, but no, Blue Devils actually doesn't do a show from the archive, unless they believe it's right for the current season. I don't think they would have already have all the pieces in, except for the bare bones.

Blue Devils build shows organically from the theme/idea's they've conceptualized. They do that extremely well. Look we are talking about BD here, they've been doing this so long with an team they've retained for decades. They do know what they are doing, proven countless times.

Note this. Not because they have show concepts sitting on, they did not used specifically for 2020, or 2021, Means they will use any of them for 2022. They might have ideas before or after (2020, 2021) that they feel might not be right for this year. So no it doesn't affect the magic they bring to the field.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rylan said:

On another note, does anyone know why BD is rehearsing in Laramie, WY pre-season this year? Is it just because of logistics? Or something else? 

I live in the Bay Area so I always look forward to dropping in on some of their early season rehearsals in Pittsburg/Concord but I guess not this year. At least DCI West is now a mid-season competition so I get to see a more mature show. So at least there’s that. 🤷🏽

I wondered that as well. I think they get to Laramie sometime next week. 

• Thanks 1

Blue Devils B show announcement

Blue Devils B 2022: I AM 

Edited by theonlyfizzle