Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

Right here, Right Now will evolve and while there will always be haters, there will be some who come out at seasons end that say "I knew this show would *insert placement here* when I first saw this show", and us Crownies will be the first to call bull****. Lol. 

Just stop. You were the one in 2019 after Allentown trying to school everyone by saying "I told you so." You told us nothing - Crown still finished 4th and you were wrong. You have a huge Crown bias and it clouds your judgement.

And, as I recall in 2019, nearly everyone, including I, was saying Crown was going to finish 4th (for practically the entire season), exactly where they finished. YOU were the one who said ALL SEASON LONG Crown had a shot to win, and after Allentown you claimed they were surging and had a chance to win. LOL, indeed.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you find that safe space you need. Perhaps the crown thread? 

There isn't safety to be found on DCP. 

Edited by queenanne_1536

45 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Agreed, I thought about it and Crown in general is a cheesy corps. I don't see why that's necessarily a bad thing.  I understand if it's not everyone's favorite but its fine to have fun now and then.

That title goes to the Cadets. Honestly other than 2007 and 2011, Crown’s shows haven’t been overly cheesy, they’ve just had a lot of “feel good” endings that have been tastefully done. I actually really liked Crown’s show designs before their staff got poached by Boston’s slush fund 

I don’t really for the narration this year, but this is the first show post-poaching that I’ve actually really enjoyed from Crown and I really do find it hard to believe they’ll finish outside of the top 2 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Oh, I was absolutely poking the bear - it's hard to swallow being lectured in that show thread by multiple BD honks on "rinse and repeat" or on a "lack of creativity" (regarding Crown) when BD lifts major show elements off the stage repeatedly. I mean their show this year features Old Man River and they spend the first two minutes stand on the props doing "something" - it's not exactly living on the design edge stuff... Just saying. 

I'm very confident in Crown and others, I'm much less confident in the DCI judging community.

Which is why I advise a ceasefire. 🙂 For one thing, it isn’t just BD fans who poke fun at Crown. Look at all the debate over Crown’s app; that’s not limited to any one faction. But yeah, if you force this to become a matter of blow-by-blow comparison, people will definitely point out Crown’s supposed “flaws” — if you make it seem like it’s a bad thing that BD is inspired by theater, people are gonna point out how Crown’s show this year steals from a sister activity like BOA, and they’ll argue that one is ultimately more adventurous than the other. And then they’ll point out how Crown has *also* been inspired by theater, movies, literature, etc. etc. etc. — “Relentless” is a great example, and so is the entire show they did that was inspired by Dante. If you make ‘Moon* River’ seem like a problem, then isn’t ‘Also Sprach Zarathustra’ a problem? Or Beethoven’s 9th? Or ‘For the Common Man’? No, right? So why even go there? 

As a fan of a corps that’s been accused of rinse/repeat park/blow yadda yadda for over 20 years, I have to tell you, Crown isn’t even catching that much heat!! So just enjoy it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Which is why I advise a ceasefire. 🙂 For one thing, it isn’t just BD fans who poke fun at Crown. Look at all the debate over Crown’s app; that’s not limited to any one faction. But yeah, if you force this to become a matter of blow-by-blow comparison, people will definitely point out Crown’s supposed “flaws” — if you make it seem like it’s a bad thing that BD is inspired by theater, people are gonna point out how Crown’s show this year steals from a sister activity like BOA, and they’ll argue that one is ultimately more adventurous than the other. And then they’ll point out how Crown has *also* been inspired by theater, movies, literature, etc. etc. etc. — “Relentless” is a great example, and so is the entire show they did that was inspired by Dante. If you make ‘Moon* River’ seem like a problem, then isn’t ‘Also Sprach Zarathustra’ a problem? Or Beethoven’s 9th? Or ‘For the Common Man’? No, right? So why even go there? 

As a fan of a corps that’s been accused of rinse/repeat park/blow yadda yadda for over 20 years, I have to tell you, Crown isn’t even catching that much heat!! So just enjoy it! 

Most corps aren't original. They are borrowing from each other, from the stage, from film, and from BOA. He wasn't targeted by Devils fans. He was saying dumb ####, once again, and people (including I, a non-Devils fan) called him out. He couldn't handle the heat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to say after watching the show a few times on television (not in person) that I really love this show.  I think it is designed very well.  The guard is staged and performing top notch and the brass line is at a high level.  I am not a percussionist so I can't comment on that area.  The corps uses the entire field and draws the people into their show.  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

That title goes to the Cadets. Honestly other than 2007 and 2011, Crown’s shows haven’t been overly cheesy, they’ve just had a lot of “feel good” endings that have been tastefully done. I actually really liked Crown’s show designs before their staff got poached by Boston’s slush fund 

I don’t really for the narration this year, but this is the first show post-poaching that I’ve actually really enjoyed from Crown and I really do find it hard to believe they’ll finish outside of the top 2 

I loved their 2007 show. I knew that year something special was in the making for them. Cheesy yes, but I still loved it. Then they gave us such sophistication in 2008 and it was marvelous.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

I have to say after watching the show a few times on television (not in person) that I really love this show.  I think it is designed very well.  The guard is staged and performing top notch and the brass line is at a high level.  I am not a percussionist so I can't comment on that area.  The corps uses the entire field and draws the people into their show.  

I agree. I love the show. I'm disappointed with the rebroadcast today, because I really wanted to watch the final three. I had plans last night and was able to catch Crown during the break before scores were announced, but I didn't see Stars and Cavies.

Watching the show a few times I’m still having issues with all the cloth and ribbons. Personally I think it looks sloppy and doesn’t add anything to the show. Especially  the section where the brass hide under the cloth tarps. Musically my only concern is the show feels very segmented, lack of transitions etc…It’s like they said we’re putting these pieces on the field and tying it together with an automated voice over. Lack of Cohesion between the arrangements. The brass, guard and drums are all incredible. Not sure on the design……just yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Man I don't care what anyone says. Crown is by far my favorite until further notice. That show they had last night was something I've never seen before and to be as good as they are THIS early in the season just makes me hope they win the title. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 8