Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

10 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

Statesboro show tomorrow also not looking too promising.

I know. Double dang. !!! Im in ATL big quick late afternoon storm tho .. not all night affairs. 

12 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

We retreated to a local eatery. The Wife is starving but would have been perfectly fine if she got to hear some Crown. 

Britt was getting ready and I was walking the dogbert and all of sudden I heard thunder. I came inside and checked the weather and then it opened up. Hopefully more corps will come through Chattanooga to rehearse. 

4 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Britt was getting ready and I was walking the dogbert and all of sudden I heard thunder. I came inside and checked the weather and then it opened up. Hopefully more corps will come through Chattanooga to rehearse. 

I figured something like that happened. Sorry we missed you. 

• Like 1

Crown could go two weeks without being in front of a panel. Don’t know if that’s good or bad. I seriously doubt tonight or tomorrow happen, the weather here in the Carolinas has been horrible the last few days. We typically get afternoon thunderstorms, but not like these, and this weekend is supposed to be worse. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hoping for the best but as I’ve said before: the Southeast is easily the rainiest part of the country during the summer months. There’s a reason why “Carolina Cloud” has had so many of their home shows rained out over the years. 

Fun Fact: my first ever live drum corps show was a rainout. It was FirstBEAT 2008 in Columbia, SC. The Colts were performing their closer when lightning struck. The Colts were allowed to finish their show but then there was a weather delay. After a few minutes, the skies opened up. It was a torrential downpour and it wouldn’t let up. After about an hour of everyone milling about under the stands, the show was called. ☹️

A few thoughts on rehearsal:

First, I don't do critiques.  If the kids are out there marching and playing music, they are doing great IMHO.

Pit:  When we got there, they had just started to warm-up.  They had barely got started when we all had to leave due to lightning in the area.  They covered the equipment and didn't get a chance to play again.

Battery:  They were doing some cleaning in the in-zone when we arrived.  They too had to vacate the field, but I expect they found someplace sheltered to continue their work.

Brass:  The brass found a huge open but covered pavilion next to the stadium to practice.  It sounded like they were cleaning certain spots in the show in individual sections. As usual, they sounded great.

Guard:  They were practicing under the stadium.  The guard techs were making sure everyone looked the same as far as arm and leg angles.  Rifles were working on tosses.  They sounded pretty clean -- you know that sound when the guard tosses a huge throw and when the rifles come down you get that ripple sound.  Well, none of that here, just a single SNAP, and they were throwing (to my untrained eye) 7-9s (abt 10' in the air).

I was told they had a great rehearsal the night before, so I think they are ready for some shows.

All for now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Arggh!

Missed it by that much. | Phillip Wright

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, tedrick said:

Why isn't Crown playing the slotting game here?
https://dci.org/scores/rankings

They've only been in two shows so far, haven't they? Looks like the rankings are based off of the last three. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Arggh!

Missed it by that much. | Phillip Wright

Britt was excited to go but work had us not being able to leave the house until a bit after 7pm. My HOPE is that if UTC is allowing for housing and rehearsals on campus, more corps will come through as we approach the Atlanta show. Chattanooga is a good place for rehearsal. Lots of HS programs that were run by former DCI members and instructors (Notre Dame, Dalton HS, Hixson (last I knew.)

• Like 1