2022 Season Predictions

1 hour ago, mcjordansc said:

I am not sure why anyone would be surprised if Boston made the leap to medalist contention this year. Their financials and executive leadership are strong. The design team has been together for what, five year now at Boston? Many worked together at other corps and I believe all have at least one world championship in hand. The instructional staff is experienced and peppered with championship pedigrees.

I think Boston is primed to make the jump to the next level. Will they win? Probably not. But they have a similar feel to where Crown and Bluecoats were in the year or two before their championship seasons. Or maybe even SCV in 2017. I think they are positioned most like the Bluecoats going into the 2014 season. What they need to show this year is the ability to do something in the show that is fresh, creative, and medalist level on the GE spectrum. 

Once they start competing with and beating corps that are part of the current big four, it will only be a matter of time until they win it all. 

I'm with ya on that. 

It's kinda like my case with Cavies. Both Cavies and Boston have greatly improved the last few years. It just wouldn't surprise me if both of these corps really turn some heads. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, craiga said:

I know I have been the target of some degree of derision of late here on DCP.  While I will admit to being an unapologetic supporter of BAC, never before this year have I ever even suggested that they might contend for a ring.

So, what in tarnation is going on this year? Actually, a couple things.  First, the 2021 season WAS treated as a real season by Boston, with all captions improving significantly over 2019. Second, having spent a total of 16 days of their 30 days of spring training with them, I was fortunate enough to learn amazing things about the show, the design and the members.

Of course, I am not dismissing the potential of any other group.  I just really am convinced that this is the most talented, most experienced, and most prepared corps ever to come out Boston, and as I have been around them more than 40 years, I think I have a baseline of knowledge. I believe they will do really well this summer, and we will soon find out. That is all.

Although you may not feel the same about me, I actually enjoy your contributions. You engage in, at least what I think, is good discussion. You're passionate - we have that in common. I would be as fiery as you if you were saying about Vanguard what I have been saying about Boston. Believe that. 

I've seen a snippet of their (BAC) guard earlier (via video) and their work looks even more amazing and challenging that it ever has to me. Their guard is so impressive. I was truly in awe. Whether they've improved elsewhere, or other guards aren't even better, remains to be seen. I hope I'm wrong about them. I hope I have to come here, eat crow, and say "you were right, I was wrong" because I'm sick of the status quo at the top and would love to see a new champion (well a new silver medalist to Vanguard).

Most of today's judging comes down largely to design. In 2019, design kept Crown in 4th instead of challenging for 1st, it kept Vanguard in the top 3, it propelled Cavies to 5th, and it kept BAC down in 6th. All the top corps have tremendous talent. All six, IMO, have the talent to win, but it's all going to come down to design, as it always does, so I'm more concerned with the design than I am with the talent.

Of course, talent is important, but design is so much more important. I won DCI one of the years I marched and the following year we had a much more talented corps, but finished lower because the design was not nearly as good as the previous year. Design can take you so far, because when the fans and judges are responding well, you're scoring well, and you're beating a bunch of your rivals it just has such a tremendous positive effect across the board. Design took us so much further than talent did. That's for sure. The summer we won was so much better than the next summer - not only because we won, because it was such a fun season where morale was through the roof, we worked so hard, and we saw the results of that work. The next season, morale sucked because everyone was beating us, the show wasn't as good or as fun as the prior season, and we knew we had no shot.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I'm with ya on that. 

It's kinda like my case with Cavies. Both Cavies and Boston have greatly improved the last few years. It just wouldn't surprise me if both of these corps really turn some heads. 

Cavies were tremendous in 2019. When I saw them in Stanford, I thought they had a better show than both Vanguard and Devils. That reminded true throughout the entire season when it comes to Vanguard, but Devils just layered so much greatness into their show throughout the season that the final product was really spectacular. 

• Like 1

SCV’s design in 2019 was not good. The pacing of moments, the lack of velocity and variety, the costuming, the color palette= train wreck. Who remembers the big tarp they put in mid season around Texas tour? That didn’t work at all. They should have been 6th at best. 

My thoughts on 2022

1. Bluecoats 
  2. BAC
  3. Blue Devils
  4. Carolina Crown
  5. Cavaliers 
  6. SCV
  7. Phantom Regiment 
  8. The Cadets
  9. Blue Knights 
  10. Blue Stars
  11. Mandarins
  12. Crossmen AND Troopers (tie in semifinals and both advance to finals)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatGuy2900 said:

SCV’s design in 2019 was not good. The pacing of moments, the lack of velocity and variety, the costuming, the color palette= train wreck. Who remembers the big tarp they put in mid season around Texas tour? That didn’t work at all. They should have been 6th at best. 

You're right but the corps was just so stinkin' good. Corps that aren't BD or Cavaliers often don't know what to do after a championship season, I was glad to see SCV did something bold, and very different from the previous year. A lot of people seem to think the group is going to majorly drop off this year, and they could be right, but I doubt the talent pool will be any worse than the last few seasons. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, valjean said:

You're right but the corps was just so stinkin' good. Corps that aren't BD or Cavaliers often don't know what to do after a championship season, I was glad to see SCV did something bold, and very different from the previous year. A lot of people seem to think the group is going to majorly drop off this year, and they could be right, but I doubt the talent pool will be any worse than the last few seasons. 

I agree on all fronts. Vanguard 2019 was a show I just didn't like, but it still had design elements and talent that kept it in the top 3. I disagree with the poster that said it should have been 6th at best. Perhaps I would have agreed had Crown beat them, but not Cavies or Boston. 

• Like 1

Who was that poster who'd talk about his theory of competitive inertia on DCP? Was it Hostrauser? Bruckner8? 

Regardless, the theory is tried and true and has been for a very long time. Boston winning this year would break that theory. I'm siding with the theory until proven otherwise. Until Boston first enters the top 3, they will not win the title