Airfare impact on DCI 2022

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

My dad would have said that worst-case scenario is you walk. 😃

Gets your exercise in at the same time,

There's a fella out here in the country that rents mules.  Think I'll checking on his pricing, feeding, & watering on a long overnight trip.  I'll see how it compares to driving with fuel prices... 

(too hot for Easter bunny suit) 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Being paranoid, I’m checking daily.  But what will probably happen to me is I’ll get there without issue, but then I’ll get cancelled on the return trip and it will cost me $2000 to get home.  😂 

Haven’t flown for years 😁 but always wondered how train travel would be long distance (on my bucket/retirement list). My limit is 500 miles a day driving but I go solo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Haven’t flown for years 😁 but always wondered how train travel would be long distance (on my bucket/retirement list). My limit is 500 miles a day driving but I go solo.

We drove to the low country for vacation last month but that’s about as far as I want to drive. It was 461 miles. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I'm planning an Amtrak trip in the future.  Will get a sleeper coach.  Got a friend that's traveled several times & he highly recommends the sleeper coach.  Would love to do that Rocky Mt trip.   

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I'm planning an Amtrak trip in the future.  Will get a sleeper coach.  Got a friend that's traveled several times & he highly recommends the sleeper coach.  Would love to do that Rocky Mt trip.   

Yeah debating where and how many days. Have other things want to do first. Hell finally took my first retirement list trip last week. And I retired 2 weeks before COVID lockdowns kicked in. For all my bad timing, retiring just before it hit the fan made up for it. Thank goodness had plenty of list stuff that I could do at home.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Britt and I are going to do one from Atlanta to D.C. I was very fortunate WAY back when I was young to do a touring trip with a vocal group from Atlanta to New York, across the northern US to Vancouver, down the west (left) coast to Mexico and back to ATL.  It was a looonnnggg trip (summer tour) but it's something I will always remember. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Britt and I are going to do one from Atlanta to D.C. I was very fortunate WAY back when I was young to do a touring trip with a vocal group from Atlanta to New York, across the northern US to Vancouver, down the west (left) coast to Mexico and back to ATL.  It was a looonnnggg trip (summer tour) but it's something I will always remember. 

Had a contractor who said his last plane trip ended with one engine on fire. He lived east coast but got sent to Puget Sound WA at times. He’d go with understanding he wouldn’t get there in a couple of hours. 😆 Always took the sleeper and said was so relaxing he got a lot of work done.

Sure Indy has a nice big train station with access to rental cars. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I have taken Amtrak from Newport News Va to Chicago via DC. I enjoyed it.  

• Like 2

My grandfather, Frank L'Eveque, was an engineer on the NY Central and he drove the 20th Century back then. I have always been fond of train travel, but there is one caveat: Departures at the origin are on-time, but do not expect to arrive at your destination without a delay.

In old Frank's day, things ran a lot tighter. Plan accordingly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Looked at Amtrak for my Indy transportation this year. It was definitely less expensive than what I'm paying to fly. The drawback was the time. Depending on the route, layovers, etc., it takes between 28 - 36 hours each way from Boston.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1