Is Parity really possible in DCI...

This is what you get when you don't have limitations in place to even the field.  Even professional sports do this.  This could be as simple as this is how many vehicles you are allowed and so forth.  SO much you can spend on equipment etc.  But, being human beings, we don't want parity when we are dominating.

28 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

BRING BACK TIC JUDGING!!!!!

😆 😀🤣🙃

IDK how much this would help parity.   But, although tic judging was subjective, it was less subjective than the current system.  The average fan back then could tell if a Corps was having a good performance or not, and this was reflected in the score.  

14 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

This is what you get when you don't have limitations in place to even the field.  Even professional sports do this.  This could be as simple as this is how many vehicles you are allowed and so forth.  SO much you can spend on equipment etc.  But, being human beings, we don't want parity when we are dominating.

Physical limitations would make zero difference. Even if there was a limit of 1 prop per show, 3 silk changes, only a, b, c allowed electronically, etc., the top tier would still win. They have the best/most talented staffs and membership, and creative people get even more creative when confined in a box of parameters. The most interesting solutions would still happen, as they do now with the current rules in place. 

There is so much excellence now, but it is still an apple vs. an orange vs. a pineapple vs. a peach. The unique personalities are quite evident, and that's a great thing. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Physical limitations would make zero difference. Even if there was a limit of 1 prop per show, 3 silk changes, only a, b, c allowed electronically, etc., the top tier would still win. They have the best/most talented staffs and membership, and creative people get even more creative when confined in a box of parameters. The most interesting solutions would still happen, as they do now with the current rules in place. 

There is so much excellence now, but it is still an apple vs. an orange vs. a pineapple vs. a peach. The unique personalities are quite evident, and that's a great thing. 

Nonsense.  Doing NOTHING will make zero difference.  Physical limitations would stop more=more score.  While I agree better staff is still a big advantage there is absolutely zero justification to not reign in some of the "animal farm" tendencies of drum corps.   All the way from special deals some corps get on equipment the list goes on and on.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Nonsense.  Doing NOTHING will make zero difference.  Physical limitations would stop more=more score.  While I agree better staff is still a big advantage there is absolutely zero justification to not reign in some of the "animal farm" tendencies of drum corps.   All the way from special deals some corps get on equipment the list goes on and on.

Or these corps can roll their sleeves up, put in the work to get better and improve, and not wait around for someone to even the playing field, and hand out orange slices and participation trophies after each show so everyone feels like a winner going home that night. 

In the last 15 years, we have seen Bloo climb the ladder, Crown climb the ladder, Boston is improving each year and threatening for a place on the podium in 2022.

Mandarins from 2010-2016......19th, 21st, 23rd, 18th, 21st, 20th, and 17th. They put the work in, shot up to 13th in 2017, made finals in 2018-19, and have now put the corps in the 6th-8th range on notice in 2022.

Heck we just saw Gold who has only been around since 2005, and has only been touring outside of California since 2011, take bronze in 2019 open class, and the other night, beat BDB and SCVC for the first time in their history. 

Personally, I say screw parity. You want to get better, put the work in and go out and compete. It can be done. 

• Like 6

Simple rule change to help parity at the world class level…if you want to change corps you sit a year.

• Haha 1

I honestly feel there just isn't enough teaching/design talent for any large scale parody to happen in DCI. We now have Super Corps! BD, SCV, Bloo, Crown and maybe now throw in Boston and possibly Cavies to some extent are attracting the best talent across the board. If you are a great snare drummer you are going to learn from Johnson, Rennick...etc. If you are a brass player you want the Harloff's of the world teaching you. You know where I am going here. Point is its all connected and the single biggest factor it's not likely to see parody is MONEY! These top notch educators are not cheap, nor are top notch designers. That is where it all starts for me. Follow the $. Could Madison some day again be relevant if they had BDs budget? Ill bet they could. 

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IDK how much this would help parity.   But, although tic judging was subjective, it was less subjective than the current system.  The average fan back then could tell if a Corps was having a good performance or not, and this was reflected in the score.  

I’ve seen perfect guard scores given with a less then perfect guard. Yes I know…I know how the judging system works, and why.  But in my opinion if you’re dropping all over, perfection is not  achieved.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BlueByYou2000 said:

I honestly feel there just isn't enough teaching/design talent for any large scale parody to happen in DCI. We now have Super Corps! BD, SCV, Bloo, Crown and maybe now throw in Boston and possibly Cavies to some extent are attracting the best talent across the board. If you are a great snare drummer you are going to learn from Johnson, Rennick...etc. If you are a brass player you want the Harloff's of the world teaching you. You know where I am going here. Point is its all connected and the single biggest factor it's not likely to see parody is MONEY! These top notch educators are not cheap, nor are top notch designers. That is where it all starts for me. Follow the $. Could Madison some day again be relevant if they had BDs budget? Ill bet they could. 

The recent successes of Boston is a very good example of your point. $$$$

back in the day Star of Indiana was another.

Edited by GREENBLUE

2 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

I’ve seen perfect guard scores given with a less then perfect guard. Yes I know…I know how the judging system works, and why.  But in my opinion if you’re dropping all over, perfection is not  achieved.

I was taught by DCP that it's not about the drop, it's about the recovery of the drop. 

• Haha 5