Saturday, July 9th ... “Tournament of Champions – Northern Illinois” … Huskie Stadium at Northern Illinois University – DeKalb, ILLINOIS

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I really hope you’re not reducing my era of drum corps to playing Sousa marches and marching 8 to 5s. 

Btw, never played a Sousa march in drum corps.  Played plenty of them in concert band though.  Boring. Pah pah pah repeat rinse pah pah pah. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I really hope you’re not reducing my era of drum corps to playing Sousa marches and marching 8 to 5s. 

Well, at least the 8 to 5 part of it Terri.😏

While I’m not particularly thrilled with the scoring or placements tonight but there is a good chunk of season left to see movement in placings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sutasaurus said:

Well, at least the 8 to 5 part of it Terri.😏

While I’m not particularly thrilled with the scoring or placements tonight but there is a good chunk of season left to see movement in placings.

I don’t sweat this stuff.  Even when I marched, I kind of chuckled when we got a whoop ### because I knew I had no control over the situation.  I only have control of my performance. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Btw, never played a Sousa march in drum corps.  Played plenty of them in concert band though.  Boring. Pah pah pah repeat rinse pah pah pah. 

Same from a drummers perspective. Boring. "Drag Drag Drag *Buzz Roll* Drag Drag Drag"

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t sweat this stuff.  Even when I marched, I kind of chuckled when we got a whoop ### because I knew I had no control over the situation.  I only have control of my performance. 

I always worried more about the feedback from the tapes than I did the actual score. Scores are arguably subjective. But when you hear something gnarly on a tape and get a comment from a judge like "a little fuzzy on that release...snares right hand side of the line" that's solid feedback that you can do something with. 

Number are numbers. They mean nothing without context. It's the behaviors that DRIVE those numbers that you can focus on. Change the behavior and you change the number. 

• Like 3

I have been puzzled by the scores especially PR this season.  However last night PR seemed a little off. I think they took some things that didn't work out of the show and they were not sure what they were doing in those spots. I was thinking a few moments of awkward visual silence .     They did not appear to be moving with confidence  I think maybe they made some changes kinda late in the practice cycle.  I think the next outing there will be a drastic improvement in scores.  As much as I like the show  last night was was not the best showing for them

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Sorry to hear that. Sousa on trombone is fun.

• Like 1