Tuesday, July 19th “DCI Broken Arrow” …. Tiger Stadium Broken Arrow High School … Broken Arrow, OKLAHOMA

As we speak, BAC is having a four hour "sleep block" in the air conditioned gym.  They did this several years ago as well during similar conditions.  It seemed to work then.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, craiga said:

As we speak, BAC is having a four hour "sleep block" in the air conditioned gym.  They did this several years ago as well during similar conditions.  It seemed to work then.

And I’m starting my sleep block right now in my recliner w/AC, ceiling fan, & the dogs.  The 2 pups actually get a little warm so they might have to move off the lap. 😴 😂

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Did anyone else take the afternoon off like Boston? I'm assuming sectionals will be inside for alot of groups. 

I hope others did.  How much could you gain in a long hot (super hot) rehearsal?  It would be counterproductive.  Safety first everyone.

• Like 2

The only time in 3 summers I had a break from rehearsal for heat was in Kansas, 2006, with Cadets. It was 98 101 according to WeatherUnderground archives, humid and sunny, and they had us just chill inside for 3-4 hours.

Famously, my old corps (Capital Regiment) kept rehearsing. The corps had apparently mostly eaten leftover cake for a few days. The Cavaliers were having a pool day nearby, and after 5 Cap Reg members got heatstroke, Cavies director called the cops to end rehearsal. The corps was put under direction of Fred Morris, and folded at the end of the year.

Edited by FTNK
See later posts
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, FTNK said:

The only time in 3 summers I had a break from rehearsal for heat was in Kansas, 2006, with Cadets. It was 98, humid and sunny, and they had us just chill inside for 3-4 hours.

Famously, my old corps (Capital Regiment) kept rehearsing. The corps had apparently mostly eaten leftover cake for a few days. The Cavaliers were having a pool day nearby, and after 5 Cap Reg members got heatstroke, Cavies director called the cops to end rehearsal. The corps was put under direction of Fred Morrison (who has his own problems), and folded at the end of the year.

There are plenty of horrible stories in drum corps, but the combination of (i) treatment of an entire corps that (ii) really had potential to move up in the drum corps world is tough to top. (not that anyone is looking to top what happened to them)

8 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

There are plenty of horrible stories in drum corps, but the combination of (i) treatment of an entire corps that (ii) really had potential to move up in the drum corps world is tough to top. (not that anyone is looking to top what happened to them)

2004 was bad, but I was a rookie and didn't know any better. 2005 was really bad. 2006, I wasn't in the corps but it was an abyss

edit: They performed in judged competition that night and the next??

Edited by FTNK

19 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Famously, my old corps (Capital Regiment) kept rehearsing. The corps had apparently mostly eaten leftover cake for a few days. The Cavaliers were having a pool day nearby, and after 5 Cap Reg members got heatstroke, Cavies director called the cops to end rehearsal. The corps was put under direction of Fred Morrison (who has his own problems), and folded at the end of the year.

All true.  💯 

19 minutes ago, FTNK said:

16 years ago yesterday. Never forget. Wonder why I am so cynical about drum corps?

Anyway, it seems like corps are being a lot smarter -- god, I hope so! -- especially as the heat increases every year

Well there was a reason for the Capital Punishment as their nickname instead of Capital Regiment 

40 minutes ago, FTNK said:

The only time in 3 summers I had a break from rehearsal for heat was in Kansas, 2006, with Cadets. It was 98 101 according to WeatherUnderground archives, humid and sunny, and they had us just chill inside for 3-4 hours.

The only thing I would dispute here is the comment about Fred Morris. DCI brought Fred in because he knows finance and he knows the rules of travel, insurance, and state and federal laws. He was not a full time drum corps guy. He was running a major company. Once the season ended Fred was asked by DCI to assess the corps. It was not Fred's job to save the corps or be full-time director in the future. He was only brought in temporarily to get Cap Reg down the road and back home after the failure of their own management and staff. Then he made assessments and reported those to DCI. Done. I don't think he stayed around after that. That was not his job. 

Remember too that when DCI suspended the Troopers for a while it was Fred Morris again who DCI hired to go in assess and ultimately they wanted him to be a temp director. He stayed longer, most likely because he enjoyed it, and he helped them build a new bingo hall and fund the corps in many new ways. Troop made top 12 once under his tenure and had plenty of good years. 

Edited by jwillis35