TRIVIA QUESTION

22 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

HAHAHA. I don't know nor do I think it's true but I heard they left DCM for DCE because they felt they could place better at DCE than DCM. It really is spectacular what Bluecoats had become. When I marched they were just breaking into the top 12.

If, in the late 80s, someone came back in time and showed me 2016 videos (out of uniform) of Bluecoats and Crown, I would have have thought Bluecoats were Madison and Crown was Regiment. I mean, jeez, I didn't even know Crown existed when I marched and Bluecoats weren't a threat. To go from that to, IMO, the most innovative corps in the world by the mid-2010s was really something special for the Bluecoats. So happy for both of their successes.

I checked From the Pressbox and it went back as far as 1985 that the Coats were competing at DCM.  In '94 was when they broke off and did not attend DCM Prelims/Finals and started competing with the eastern corps.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I don’t think anyone who actually lives on the east coast would count anything in Ohio “east coast”

For sure not.  I grew up in Indiana and Ohio was midwest...even though it was full of horrible drivers and police that would ALWAYS pull over the Indiana plate for a ticket even though you were going slower than cars with Ohio plates. 😉

Living in DC and Boston for as long as I have, Pittsburgh isn't considered "east coast" either for that matter.  Once you're approaching the Appalachians, you're leaving "east coast" and if you've crossed them, you're definitely not "east" anymore.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

For sure not.  I grew up in Indiana and Ohio was midwest...even though it was full of horrible drivers and police that would ALWAYS pull over the Indiana plate for a ticket even though you were going slower than cars with Ohio plates. 😉

Living in DC and Boston for as long as I have, Pittsburgh isn't considered "east coast" either for that matter.  Once you're approaching the Appalachians, you're leaving "east coast" and if you've crossed them, you're definitely not "east" anymore.  

Yeah Pittsburgh is a bit of a wild card for me. Culturally and sports-wise the city is considered part of the east coast but everything around it is very much Midwest 

8 hours ago, kdaddy said:

It's weird to me that Bluecoats aren't considered "midwest" even though they competed in DCI East.

They weren't around when Blue Stars were the best in the Midwest. I always consider them Midwestern? 

2 hours ago, ykw said:

fBmmET8.jpg

you for got the THE

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

But the rest of the country would sure like to have our drum corps and a few of our football teams!!!

well the drum corps anyway

• Haha 1

We could say when was the last time the Blue Stars were the top corps in the central time zone. That eliminates the Ohio in or out of the Midwest debate. As someone who grew up in Iowa, I don’t like to think of Ohio being in the same region as my home state, but technically I guess it is.