Corps Rehearsal closings!

14 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Naively, I wanna believe this year’s different because unlike last year there’s actually a competition at stake — I wanna believe DCI would feel like it has to try harder and enforce these rules. On competition grounds it shouldn’t be up to the corps to handle this themselves, not least because putting their volunteers at risk still puts the MMs at risk.

But what to do I know.   

DCI is not Robocop.  I understand what you are saying, yet it's not a powerful organization - and many people assume they have a lot more control than they do. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Continental said:

DCI is not Robocop.  

DCI as Robocop.  There's a show waiting to happen...

23 minutes ago, Continental said:

DCI is not Robocop.  I understand what you are saying, yet it's not a powerful organization - and many people assume they have a lot more control than they do. 

I mean, I do think an organization with the practical means to help organize events like Atlanta etc. can at least be expected to help corps while they’re in the lots and elsewhere stay protected from fans. I’m not talking about controlling what the corps do 24/7 — I’m strictly talking about what’s happening at competitions, especially the big ones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

DCI as Robocop.  There's a show waiting to happen...

oh that totally already happened:

• Haha 2

Heh.  I don't think I'd quite read that show as such but yeah that works. 

• Like 1

I have, with great regret, cancelled my trip to Allentown this weekend.  The heat, possible bad weather, and a bum knee would make the trip difficult. The hardest part was deciding not to drive to Hamburg on Friday. But i just learned i was exposed to Covid on Monday. Despite practice being outdoors, and that I am twice vaxxed, and twice boosted, i still caught covid in January. I don’t want to be that selfish person  who exposes anyone else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I agree 100%.  It’s also part of the problem.  Look how the NCAA is imploding for lack of real control, leadership and forward thinking. The professional sports leagues have a better balance of control between the owners and their league offices/commissioners (barely).  Not a clean analogy, I realize.  

For the sake of the activity and the welfare of the kids, a solution really needs to emerge where there is a bit more independence and oversight from DCI & the ED.  Especially when it comes to financial health, and more importantly, member health & welfare.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I mean, I do think an organization with the practical means to help organize events like Atlanta etc. can at least be expected to help corps while they’re in the lots and elsewhere stay protected from fans. I’m not talking about controlling what the corps do 24/7 — I’m strictly talking about what’s happening at competitions, especially the big ones. 

You hit the nail in the head.

DCI "organizes" events.

They do things like schedule shows.

They don't have the  staff to handle things "on the ground".

They rely on volunteers and there are a limited number of them.

As I've posted, at the Easts the corps all warm up in a large public park.

DCI has neither the people or authority to do anything but ask people to stay away from corps.

Didn't work last year.

I don't think the fact that this year DCI is keeping score again, is going to change much of anything.

I've seen people get into some pretty heated discussions with DCI's "seat monitors" .

Would think having these same people trying to handle "crowd control" could get dicey.

Edited by rpbobcat

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Naively, I wanna believe this year’s different because unlike last year there’s actually a competition at stake — I wanna believe DCI would feel like it has to try harder and enforce these rules. On competition grounds it shouldn’t be up to the corps to handle this themselves, not least because putting their volunteers at risk still puts the MMs at risk.

But what to do I know.   

I’ll reach out to folks I know to see if there’s any scuttle butt

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

oh that totally already happened:

Remember how many of us assumed that the fake microphone headsets some of the corps wore (guard?) were mocking the burgeoning use of amplification? (don't know if it was verified) My how times have changed...