Marching experience of DCP members

Marched nine years in four different corps, only one of which had 100 members, others were all small corps <70 MMs. Instructed for four years after that until folding. 

• Like 6

Marched 2 years in marching band, 7 years in corps. 5 years teaching M&M then another 14 or so years as support staff(cooking crew and souvies)

Yep, I’m old.

Great topic BTW IllianaLancerContra 

Edited by Sutasaurus
Thanks IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 7

4 years of high school marching band (Commerce, TX)

3 years in DCI (1 in Sky Ryders, 2 in Phantom Regiment)

1 year of college marching band (E.T.S.U., now Texas A&M Commerce)

• Like 7

4 years marching band (high level ISSMA/BOA finalist) 

Never had the opportunity (or money) to do drum corps but was introduced to the activity young as a spectator

edit to add: marching band was accompanied by concert band, pep band, pit orchestra, and jazz band as well as solo and ensemble competition.  And four years perfect attendance.  (nerd alert!). I probably logged more hours at that high school than anyone, including the staff.  

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 9

4 years marching DCA

3 years teaching DCA

26 years teaching high schools and indoor percussion

20 years judging bands and indoor percussion

• Like 4

HS marching band for one year, synth. It was a great experience in some respects and I really enjoyed the camraderie, but we really had some crappy management and an ego-inflated band director who thought he was the next big star but he always cynically insults the kids. Also, we had an insane schedule which basically left no time for me to pursue other interests or even just relax for a bit. I was having a bit of a mental health crisis at the time and this definitely contributed to it.

However, I hold a deep appreciation for both marching band and drum corps and an undying respect for those who dedicate their time to it. Drum corps is my favorite genre of music (besides swing and electro swing), and I've referred to DCI as the "soundtrack to my life". I still play synth (along with other percussion instruments) and am teaching myself to write music in the style of these bands. I may not be on the field anymore, but I'll sure as hell be in the stands, and band will be a part of my soul forever.

• Like 3