An uneducated fangirl's final predictions

4 hours ago, jsd said:

It happened in 1988. Undefeated all season, and that was the year that DCI decided to not announce scores from prelims and semis (supposedly to create "competitive balance"). Madison smoked "Malaguena" in front of the home crowd at Camp Randall, and BD ended up in third. I had friends in that corps and on that staff. They (the staff) were up in the box for retreat, drinking beers, and when they announced BD in third, they were like, "WTF?!?". 

So, there is precedence. I just don't see it happening this year. BD only has two more performances before Finals, because they will spend the rest of the time cleaning the heck out of the show and putting on the final touches. 

Dear Lord, that '88 Horn Line was amazing... "That Old Black Magic" is still one of my favorite arrangements/performances of all time.

The difference between '88 and today is BD got 6th in GE Visual, 4th in Visual Performance, and 5th in Percussion Performance. Madison was the only corps in '88 to finish in the top 3 in all captions. That's why they won, and that's why BD lost (got 3rd). 

I'm not saying Boston isn't going to win, because I think it is possible, but BD will surely be top 2 in most, if not all captions, come finals. It is going to take a massive effort for Boston to top BD.

5 hours ago, jsd said:

It happened in 1988. Undefeated all season, and that was the year that DCI decided to not announce scores from prelims and semis (supposedly to create "competitive balance"). Madison smoked "Malaguena" in front of the home crowd at Camp Randall, and BD ended up in third. I had friends in that corps and on that staff. They (the staff) were up in the box for retreat, drinking beers, and when they announced BD in third, they were like, "WTF?!?". 

So, there is precedence. I just don't see it happening this year. BD only has two more performances before Finals, because they will spend the rest of the time cleaning the heck out of the show and putting on the final touches. 

Dear Lord, that '88 Horn Line was amazing... "That Old Black Magic" is still one of my favorite arrangements/performances of all time.

Kansas City, Arrowhead Stadium - but everything else tracks.

I only know, because I was a poor grad student at Madison that year and definitely would have been at Camp Randall for Finals had it been there. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, henry7184 said:

The fact that Blue Stars aren't listed and Bluecoats behind behind SCV makes me wonder if anyone is paying attention.

No, I hear you, but I am just playing a hunch at this point. You might well be right.

I think we will see Boston Crusaders take Allentown on Friday night. The pandemonium will be huge. This will lead to a great finals week where Blue Devils will win on either Thursday or Friday, and Boston Crusaders will win on Thursday or Friday. Whichever corps wins on Friday will win Saturday night. I’m hoping it’s Boston Crusaders.

Crown is a solid 3rd place. Bloo will be 4th.

Predictions are not fun without something bold so I will say Cadets in 5th, SCV in 6th.

• Like 1

One of the sports web sites where I went to school (LSU) has a column called 'Delusional Optimism' that discusses why we just might beat Alabama, Texas A&M, and other such teams although our offensive line has more holes than a spaghetti strainer, and we are starting our 3rd string quarterback due to injuries. 

I think on Sunday I am going to start a topic called 'DCI Finals Week Delusional Optimism' where we can discuss these scenarios more-or-less in real time.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I think we will see Boston Crusaders take Allentown on Friday night. The pandemonium will be huge. This will lead to a great finals week where Blue Devils will win on either Thursday or Friday, and Boston Crusaders will win on Thursday or Friday. Whichever corps wins on Friday will win Saturday night. I’m hoping it’s Boston Crusaders.

Crown is a solid 3rd place. Bloo will be 4th.

Predictions are not fun without something bold so I will say Cadets in 5th, SCV in 6th.

I agree with this, although I do not see Cadets overtaking SCV - frankly I don't think they have the content to even do so. Cadets are working very hard cleaning, locking down tempos (up over 200 bmp again) and layering and adding. SCV I'm sure is working hard as well. Cadets spent yesterday and today in the fabulous Navy Stadium w/ ensemble under the lights late last night. Always such a fun time of year for us fans AND the members. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Could you speak to your boss about this.  😉 Please and thank you!!

• Haha 2