Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

2 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

I could’ve sworn that you were talking up Crown’s show design in late June/early July. I must be wrong and mixing you up with somebody else. My mistake!

Definitely was not me. This is one of my least favorite CC shows ever.

• Like 1

Just now, Pwchez said:

can someone post all the scores from both nights combined, please

Why would we combine something that's not comparable :tongue:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Cadets now above Blue Stars.  In the same show. What a great year for Cadets, with a young corps.  Watch out for them next year.

Almost all corps are young after a very strange 2020 and 2021. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brass Lover said:

Why would we combine something that's not comparable :tongue:

You say that but then DCI does in fact do exactly that.

2 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

If the conditions on the two nights had been more comparable, I would agree, but Friday had huge storms just before the show, a delay, and then everything wet and really soggy air. The top 3 were all noticeably off their game.

I have no doubt the panel tried to honestly rank all they saw as one group, but tonight’s corps had a clear environmental advantage that resulted in stronger relative performances.

If the conditions were flipped Crowntown would be accused of whining and making excuses. And we all know the intent is for this to be interpreted as one show (as reasonably as possible) .. but .. I knew if Crown pulled out a 95 down the rabbit hole we would go.  

2 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

Or, if you can’t do them all in one night (I’m not really sure why), maybe do top 8 on Saturday and the rest on Friday? I’m sure the judges try to account for both nights in their scoring, but I don’t think it’s entirely possible when you are watching and listening to corps that are playing 24 hours or more apart from each other.

I have always thought at least the top 8, maybe 10, should perform on the same night

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

IDK. I love it. I think it was ahead of its time, which made some people uncomfortable at the time, but I rewatched earlier this week and it stands up really, really well.

My partner still loses it every time he hears or sees any part of that show. It is very visceral and engaging. 

• Like 4

I’m going to have to eat my words a bit. But before I do, I don’t think judging 24 hours apart is an accurate indicator between 2 groups. That being said…

Judges 100% were comparing the groups on both nights. If you look at each judge’s scores, they never repeated a score in content or achievement between 2 nights. They were clearly intending for their scores to be an accurate representation to compare both nights.

But again, I don’t think it’s accurate, and you’re technically judging 1 group that had 24 hours more to practice.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

Yes that, and the uniforms and dancing. Obviously they weren’t the first to do those things, but I remember them causing a lot of angst among fans at the time. And a lot of people were super weirded out by Einstein on the Beach, which isn’t new but it was new to drum corps. I thought it was brilliant at the time and I think if they did that show this year, people would be wowed by it.

I saw them a few times early season in California that year, I don’t remember them being very controversial. BD, on the other hand, that year…

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1