Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Very compelling argument. Lots of good points made. 

Thank you. I already knew I had the winning argument, so I went with the “less is more” approach!

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

Thank you. I already knew I had the winning argument, so I went with the “less is more” approach!

If that's how you choose to view it, I aspire to your level of delusion. 

Corps don't design shows for the purpose of artistic expression. They universally design with the purposed of being competitive. Blue Devils especially design with the primary goal of ticking enough boxes to win, at the expense of artistic expression. Everything that is designed from that point is done with the express purpose of utility, not art. It's no more art than a commercial jingle is art, or a company slogan/logo is art. It's design for the purpose of utility, and not art. 

You are free to enjoy whatever you want in the manner you choose, but let's not delude ourselves in thinking that what happens on those fields is anything other than what it is, a competitive exercise based primarily on excellence. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

If that's how you choose to view it, I aspire to your level of delusion. 

Corps don't design shows for the purpose of artistic expression. They universally design with the purposed of being competitive. Blue Devils especially design with the primary goal of ticking enough boxes to win, at the expense of artistic expression. Everything that is designed from that point is done with the express purpose of utility, not art. It's no more art than a commercial jingle is art, or a company slogan/logo is art. It's design for the purpose of utility, and not art. 

You are free to enjoy whatever you want in the manner you choose, but let's not delude ourselves in thinking that what happens on those fields is anything other than what it is, a competitive exercise based primarily on excellence. 

You’re already well past my level if you think what the corps produce on the field is not art. Goal achieved! Congrats!

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Rylan said:

This is why I love that you’re a regular on here. You’re always the first to compliment and cheer for all the corps and the first to be the mature one if need be. (Even though you’re totally right.) ❤️

I appreciate that! I’m certainly not perfect, but I try to do the right thing. Thank you!

• Like 3

I had a work engagement yesterday, so I missed all the fun. I'll watch the re-broadcast, but I did watch just watched the retreat show on YouTube and wow the Cavies took a scoring hit. It looked like they were pulling away from Mandarins and PR and wham. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I had a work engagement yesterday, so I missed all the fun. I'll watch the re-broadcast, but I did watch just watched the retreat show on YouTube and wow the Cavies took a scoring hit. It looked like they were pulling away from Mandarins and PR and wham. 

Visual analysis. Percussion. Somehow the Cavaliers forgot how to execute to those parts of the sheet on the very last night of the season. 🙂

• Like 1