Boston Crusaders 2023

I think the brass sounded great yesterday in person. Best brass talent they’ve ever had. I don’t think the design features the soft mature sound that got them 2nd at finals last year. But the fan critique last year was that crown and BC blasted everyone with massive decibles and BAC was in between them at finals and sounded too reserved. In any case, they have improved on talent from their 2nd place brass so we’ll see where the writing and arrangement takes them.  I don’t think the new brass manufacture will play a part in that unless there is something faulty that arises. Nothing sounds good on flo for detailed Analysis, we all know that by now. The first two shows are done in the north east and it’s way too soon to have those answers. 

Well ..... after seeing performances on the net.... a few observations.

ONE..... I flipping LOVE the music!  Bernstein's "On the Waterfront" and that ENDING is            S U P E R B !!!!!  Otherwise, a few random things.  

DISCLAIMER:    I LOVE drum Corps... the activity on a whole, and as my username implies, I love Phantom Regiment as well as Boston since 1978 and 2008 respectively for both corps. I love BAC and like Phantom, supported them via sponsorship of members, volunteering, numerous yearly contributions etc.  I bash no corps..... evah! 

With that said, here is what I get from this years "White Whale"

SOLID hornline with incredible sound and intonation.  BUT.... the piccolo trumpet and that opening pitch and entrance is a bit rough.  COULD BE better with a flugelhorn, but, who am I ?  

DRUMLINE -- up there with last year, and while I am not a drummer, I know many instructors in the activity that see the difficulty in the book - and I'd expect nothing less from Colin McNutt.  His infamous "McNutt Special" can be heard again as well as the return of the Conquest Shots in the pit.

COLORGUARD --  Well the Zingali holders sure have their work cut out for them, and the saber, harpoon, flag & rifle work is ALL There as is the interpretive dance.... however, with their costume/uniforms (?)  I feel they get lost sometimes on the field with the minute colors they wear?  May be just me as i haven't seen them "live" yet.  Also, the silks are awesome.... but somehow I just have to really stay focused on the guard to see the choreograph moves and hand work clearly - at times it "feels" like two different presentations .... corps on the left, guard on the right or vice versa..

May be just me.... but the corps proper in the black pants make the corps look smaller on the field, but that's just MY opinion.  

PROPS:   LOVE the motif of a ship.... the docks.... the nautical theme, but 'SOMETHING' is missing.  Most ships have some sort of bell... which was used by maritime sailors to tell the time, 2nd... where is the 'whale' ?  Did my eyes deceive me in seeing ONE lone guard figure in white moving around in the closer?  Ok.... I saw the 'whale' in the drill form.... and of course the reference to Capt. Ahab.... BUT.... what happens to the ship?  

All I am saying and it is NOT INTENDED to be negative in any way ... and Keith Potter is a literal design genius and we all know it AND DOESN'T CARE NOR NEED MY .02... but I feel we need MORE of a 'ship' and a 'whale' --- the story is about a whale right?  Coverage from opener to closer is good, but again, to me, the corps looks small and he guard with those subtle colors often don't "Pop" like last years offset of white/red, BUT.... I KOW there is more to come and it will be good!  🙂

THE CLOSER is awesome .... perhaps having a bell 'toll' somewhere in the closer would indicate 'the hour is near' - especially when the narration states" I am alone to tell thee of the white whale' etc.  Maybe, JUST MAYBE we'll see an ending like 2018 with huge waves rushing over the 'ship' and another HUGE SILK with a huge white whale on it as the corps disappears?  Just MY visual 'wish list' of sorts I guess.... 

FINIS':  THIS is by no means BAC's final product !  Do I expect multiple changes/additions in the coming weeks?  YOU BET.... Do I think this is a medal contender?  Yepp .... do I think the corps has bought into this 'battle of a monster' theme in comparing their 83 year struggle in DCI to be where they are RIGHT NOW -- in the thick of it??  Heck yeah ..... are they hungry for more?  Darn straight!  Does this staff/design team have what it takes ?  Oh H#LL yeah ..... 

I wish ALL the corps the best this season.... especially my beloved BAC ! ( and of course PR -- we go back a Looooooong way!)

Let's see where this show goes as the weeks progress!  I will be volunteering in Allentown and will get my first REAL in-person viewing/hearing of the sound and scope... but until then Crusaders........ 

"Eat Em' up" -- we're hungry...

Edited by PRPhan4ever
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

Horns sound fine until they get into upper register or past (what seems to me, haven’t seen the music) FF. That’s not an issue with the teaching or the students, that seems to be an issue with the horns themselves.

The members play their book excellently. One of the top 3 horn lines in the activity. Switching away from Yamaha for an unproven brand was a mistake in the short term at the very least. Hopefully there are improvements in the future. 

Well I definitely respect your opinion on this. I am excited to hear them live. 

2 minutes ago, PRPhan4ever said:

Well ..... after seeing performances on the net.... a few observations.

ONE..... I flipping LOVE the music!  Bernstein's "On the Waterfront" and that ENDING is            S U P E R B !!!!!  Otherwise, a few random things. 

COLORGUARD --  Well the Zingali holders sure have their work cut out for them, and the saber, harpoon, flag & rifle work is ALL There as is the interpretive dance.... however, with their costume/uniforms (?)  I feel they get lost sometimes on the field with the minute colors they wear?  

PROPS:   LOVE the motif of a ship.... the docks.... the nautical theme, but 'SOMETHING' is missing.  Most ships have some sort of bell... which was used by maritime sailors to tell the time, 2nd... where is the 'whale' ?  Did my eyes deceive me in seeing ONE lone guard figure in white moving around in the closer?  Ok.... I saw the 'whale' in the drill form.... and of course the reference to Capt. Ahab.... BUT.... what happens to the ship?  

All i am saying and it is NOT INTENEDED To be negative ... and Keith Potter is a literal design genius and we all know it... but I feel we need MORE of a 'ship' and a 'whale' --- the story is about a whale right?  Coveraghe from opener to closer is good, but again, to me, the corps looks small and he guard with those subtle colors often don't "Pop" like last years offset of white/red, BUT.... I KOW there is more to come and it will be good!  🙂

THE CLOSER is awesome .... perhaps having a bell 'toll' somewhere in the closer would indicate 'the hour is near' - especially when the narration states" I am alone to tell thee of the white whale' etc.  Maybe, JUST MAYBE we'll see an ending like 2018 with huge waves rushing over the 'ship' and another with a huge white whale on it as the corps disappears?  Just MY visual nuances i guess.... 

FINIS':  THIS is by no means BAC's final product !  Do i expect multiple changes/additions?  YOU BET.... Do I think this is a medal contender?  Yepp .... do I think the corps has bought into this 'battle of a monster'?  Heck yeah ..... are they hungry for more?  Darn straight!  Does this staff/design team have what it takes ?  Oh yeah ..... 

I wish ALL the corps the best.... especially my beloved BAC !

I agree with your commentary. I’m assuming judges are also making comments on opening solo, CG getting lost at times in color, and lack of props for the whale and on the boat. This design team likes to see it play out before adding and adjusting wrt to color and props. I’d expect the addition colors and props to be rolled out in two phases. The first changes fairly soon then the final ones right after San Antonio based on past few seasons. 

• Like 1

I love watching this guard. The costumes are the best in the activity right now, IMHO. (They didn't go with the abstract unitards that seem to be dominating designs, and in turn, turning me off big time.) I'm just an old guard cat so much of the rest of the show is kinda lost on me... but this guard will keep my attention all season. Such talent, so twirly fun. Good work.

• Like 3

Edited by PRPhan4ever
wrong reply

Oh .... and lets remember.... Ahab never DOES kill the whale.... how about a the placing of a red flag on the lookout of the prob as Ahab's last attempt to have the ship noticed - and of course... the infamous last quote:  "From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."    after that last huge FFFFF hornline drumline ending have some whale song ?   as the show ends......

Edited by PRPhan4ever
removed some text

I know ... corny right ?  

47 minutes ago, PRPhan4ever said:

I know ... corny right ?  

Just ignore him. I like your creative ideas.

• Like 1