Carolina Crown 2023

48 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

There’s a video that has both Bloo and Crown’s crownBEAT performances combined and you see Bloo and Crown guard up close. No way of disputing the difficulty of Bloo’s work IMO; it’s extremely intricate stuff with a lot of body built in, constantly on the move no less. Their flags work from the end of the pole a lot, which is extremely hard to clean. They have a ton of trick tosses like everyone else, but — like their battery — the difficult stuff is really well integrated. They don’t show off just to show off, which is something I really appreciate about them. 

Crown guard is doing difficult stuff too! Very apparently so. 

body/dance work is so hard to get right. i've performed in a season of indoor winter guard one year, i spun rifle/flag, and that stuff is tough. some of the rifle work in bloo this year has me sweating, the parallels and high tosses are so hard to get perfect. but body work is a whole new beast. the amount of focus and intricacy involved in lining up and perfecting body/dance is a whole new level of difficult. bloo masters that imo.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

There’s a video that has both Bloo and Crown’s crownBEAT performances combined and you see Bloo and Crown guard up close. No way of disputing the difficulty of Bloo’s work IMO; it’s extremely intricate stuff with a lot of body built in, constantly on the move no less. Their flags work from the end of the pole a lot, which is extremely hard to clean. They have a ton of trick tosses like everyone else, but — like their battery — the difficult stuff is really well integrated. They don’t show off just to show off, which is something I really appreciate about them. 

The difference for me is a lot of what BC guard is doing is hard to "find" within the crap heap on the field.  Maybe it is more difficult, but I have no issue visually latching on to what Crown guard is doing the entire show.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Do you know the URLs of the videos?  I’d love to see them so I can learn more about your points. Fascinating!

37 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

My previous comment stands. We can nitpick all day about what makes guard work difficult and have 20 different opinions.

I respectfully disagree.

I have designed color guard for almost thirty years, and there really isn't any "nitpicking" about demand. Are there small, subtle differences between the top guards? Yes. Is there a difference between what is expected from the top guards and everyone else? Yes. 

That's why it is half of the score in that caption. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Ranitidin said:

Does anyone know what happened to the round table? I didn't see it being used in DCI Macon. In the meantime, I'll stare at the wall until Little Rock comes (every update, big or small, would be extremely appreciated). 🫠

And as always, go Crown!

I’ve read it’s just out for maintenance work. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewArpege said:

Do you know the URLs of the videos?  I’d love to see them so I can learn more about your points. Fascinating!

Look for Crownbeat 2023 on YT. The video I’m talking about is 26min long and has both Bloo and Crown’s performances. Filmed right on the 30 and close to the field, so you see a lot of each guard up close. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsd said:

I respectfully disagree.

I have designed color guard for almost thirty years, and there really isn't any "nitpicking" about demand. Are there small, subtle differences between the top guards? Yes. Is there a difference between what is expected from the top guards and everyone else? Yes. 

That's why it is half of the score in that caption. 

Thank you for proving my point.

• Confused 2

I’m very much a “music go brrrr” kinda person, where most of my enjoyment from the activity comes from if I’m being honest, I like being stirred from what I hear more than what I see mostly, but of course when they work in tandem and click, it can be very magical. Some corps do it for me, some don’t in that regard. And usually guard and dance don’t do it for me or leave the most impression on me in any show. This reminds of a line from the Guardians movies, “there are those who dance, and those who don’t” and I definitely am more of the latter. Someone will make a dancer out of me at some point though haha and there are plenty of people there that are lucky to get smitten by more of the visual side of things that I don’t typically, good on them for being wired that way!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ranitidin said:

Does anyone know what happened to the round table? I didn't see it being used in DCI Macon. In the meantime, I'll stare at the wall until Little Rock comes (every update, big or small, would be extremely appreciated). 🫠

And as always, go Crown!

I don’t know but it was not working with the halves just sitting out there on the 30s .. just sitting. I hope if they come back they are more meaningful. I did like the pull apart tho. 

9 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Thank you for proving my point.

Grandpa. For me .. I’m just glad CrownGuard is killing it with seriously competitive content and achievement. Right now it’s seems to be any one’s Zingali. Just depends on the night. The way I like it .. nice and competitive. Grows all the talented  members to their best. 

• Like 1