Carolina Crown 2023

2 hours ago, WildcatMello said:

There's an amateur video of their SA run from a really perspective. I don't know what it sounded like on Flo, but this amateur video made it sound like the percussion wasn't together quite a few times. It also caught it when a trumpet player held onto a note after the rest of the corps was cut off. In the video, the people looked at each other as soon as this happened. But man...the drill....I just don't think it does much that could reflect what was being played. But that's just my opinion. Some might say it does, but guess I'm missing something. The sound and choreography, along with the guards actions are easy to get for me, but the drill doesn't. 

That said, I have no problem imagining them pulling ahead at Atlanta, especially since it's likely they'll premiere the Crown set. That should excite everyone more than any other performance they're put on yet. Should be an added ge boost and with the percussion being cleaner they could pass Bloo. 

I think they just had an off night in SA.   Maybe the percussion judge was biased, but they didn’t sound as clean as the previous few outings to me.   Also, I thought the brass seemed a bit off.  I can’t comment about the CG because I know so little about that.   I expect them to bounce back in Atlanta.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WildcatMello said:

There's an amateur video of their SA run from a really perspective. I don't know what it sounded like on Flo, but this amateur video made it sound like the percussion wasn't together quite a few times. It also caught it when a trumpet player held onto a note after the rest of the corps was cut off. In the video, the people looked at each other as soon as this happened. But man...the drill....I just don't think it does much that could reflect what was being played. But that's just my opinion. Some might say it does, but guess I'm missing something. The sound and choreography, along with the guards actions are easy to get for me, but the drill doesn't. 

That said, I have no problem imagining them pulling ahead at Atlanta, especially since it's likely they'll premiere the Crown set. That should excite everyone more than any other performance they're put on yet. Should be an added ge boost and with the percussion being cleaner they could pass Bloo. 

That trumpet hold over was also there the night before so not sure if that's intentional or just missed two nights in a row. I wouldn't get caught up with a crown set being added and that making a boost to the GE. The last time I remember that happening was in 2015 but there was a lot more to it than just the set. The fabric, the music, and the drill just all fell together so well to really increase the GE at the end of the show. Not saying they shouldn't add the set, just that the expectations that it is the key piece missing to jump them up the rankings are a little misguided.

40 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

That trumpet hold over was also there the night before so not sure if that's intentional or just missed two nights in a row. I wouldn't get caught up with a crown set being added and that making a boost to the GE. The last time I remember that happening was in 2015 but there was a lot more to it than just the set. The fabric, the music, and the drill just all fell together so well to really increase the GE at the end of the show. Not saying they shouldn't add the set, just that the expectations that it is the key piece missing to jump them up the rankings are a little misguided.

If there was ever a year when a crown set is required, this is it.  The whole story is about a crown!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

Good morning all,

Wanted to issue an apology for the off-topic posts the other night. This past week/weekend was not stellar for me, and I was throwing myself a pity-party and making foolish comments. I do not have family or friends to turn to, so I often settle for the first outlet, and unfortunately, DCP was it.

I do want to highlight the outstanding character of @Vuitton who reached out to me privately and is part of the reason that I will keep my account activated for the time being. Thank you.

Anyway, enough of that. This thread is about Crown and so it shall be. 

Regardless of final placement come Finals night, I find myself proud of this corps and production. Crown will indeed be fine, and I plan to focus on what is great about it, rather than nitpick. But, it does need a Crown set :lle:

We appreciate you!!! We are family! 

• Like 4

Hey y’all!  I don’t usually post in here - preferring to just observe from a distance. I became a “Crownie” in 2013. That show just pulled me in and made me a believer. For some reason, I identify with Crown like no other. They’re like a romance novel I can’t put down!  LOL. 

With that said, a couple of things are bothering me about this year’s show. I really like it a lot, but I’m having difficulty with the drill. It just doesn’t seem to work for me and I can’t put my finger on it. The music is fantastic as always, but the drill …I don’t know what to think. It guess it seems messy to me this year. There are some good moments, but overall I’m having difficulty with it. 
The other thing I’m bothered with is the new ending. It’s not the drill so much (because I feel sure it’s going to change again in the coming weeks), but the music here seems forced to me. The change from minor to major seems abrupt and doesn’t fit with everything before. 
I guess what I’m wanting here, is for you to tell me to I’m TOTALLY wrong and that I needn’t worry. Just know, my faith in Crown isn’t wavering…I’m STILL a believer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sensioto said:

Good morning all,

Wanted to issue an apology for the off-topic posts the other night. This past week/weekend was not stellar for me, and I was throwing myself a pity-party and making foolish comments. I do not have family or friends to turn to, so I often settle for the first outlet, and unfortunately, DCP was it.

I do want to highlight the outstanding character of @Vuitton who reached out to me privately and is part of the reason that I will keep my account activated for the time being. Thank you.

Regardless of final placement come Finals night, I find myself proud of this corps and production. Crown will indeed be fine, and I plan to focus on what is great about it, rather than nitpick. But, it does need a Crown set :lle:

I mean if you have a show about royalty and don't put a crown I think you screwed the pooch. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sensioto said:

Good morning all,

I'm so glad you changed your mind. We have all been there - making foolish comments and throwing ourselves a pity-party. at least you don't seem to have the anger I have and that gets me in trouble spouting off my big mouth before I think "do I really want to say that." We're all passionate about this activity and what we all have to say is valueable.

So glad you're aren't leaving. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kmax said:

Hey y’all!  I don’t usually post in here - preferring to just observe from a distance. I became a “Crownie” in 2013. That show just pulled me in and made me a believer. For some reason, I identify with Crown like no other. They’re like a romance novel I can’t put down!  LOL. 

With that said, a couple of things are bothering me about this year’s show. I really like it a lot, but I’m having difficulty with the drill. It just doesn’t seem to work for me and I can’t put my finger on it. The music is fantastic as always, but the drill …I don’t know what to think. It guess it seems messy to me this year. There are some good moments, but overall I’m having difficulty with it. 
The other thing I’m bothered with is the new ending. It’s not the drill so much (because I feel sure it’s going to change again in the coming weeks), but the music here seems forced to me. The change from minor to major seems abrupt and doesn’t fit with everything before. 
I guess what I’m wanting here, is for you to tell me to I’m TOTALLY wrong and that I needn’t worry. Just know, my faith in Crown isn’t wavering…I’m STILL a believer!

The drill seems more digestible this year than the last several to me .. the longer fluid lines .. seem to line up with the music .. at least somewhat

i take the key change/closer as some type of celebratory movement .. maybe a battle won or something within the whole legend of King Arthur. and they don’t want to end it dark .. so I like it. 
shades of Inferno again. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BWise said:

They definitely aren’t near dead. One judge on one night. I guess MusicMan missed the scores the two nights prior. 
There is plenty of room still for this show to grow ..  I mean pretty wild haired scores on perc and guard last night .. now if it turns into last year’s plateau I’ll says it’s set. 

Percussion has been under performing most of the year. One night either way does not tell the story. But the trend is clear.  Percussion will be LUCKY to finish where they did last year (5th). That is certainly not the outcome I want to see but it is clear to most they are still not at the same level as the top lines. 

25 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Percussion has been under performing most of the year. One night either way does not tell the story. But the trend is clear.  Percussion will be LUCKY to finish where they did last year (5th). That is certainly not the outcome I want to see but it is clear to most they are still not at the same level as the top lines. 

Hmmm .. sitting in 5th for a brand new line is not underperforming in my book and let’s be honest .. no one is running away with percussion.
It’s tight and it’s could easily come down to one night. They are right behind Bloo and Cadets are right up Crown’s booty. So .. time will tell. Cavaliers are right on top of Devils. All on 7 day averages. 

• Like 2