Carolina Crown 2023

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The thing that makes me doubt that any of the top 4 can pull off a miracle is that BD is very handily winning GE. In the years that BD has lost, a show has outdone them in that caption while also outdoing them in a performance caption here and there. 

BD's dominance in GE this season tells me that the odds of a hail mary is very, very low unless some major changes are coming to the shows of any or all of the corps in the top 2-4

Agreed. Crown has about maxed out places they can add GE without overhauling or introducing something net new like a prop or tarp or something. Without closing the GE gap, it’s very hard to beat BD. 

Edited by NewArpege
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nsxanax said:

In spite of an exceptional brass score and a fairly solid run last night, Crown slid a spot placement-wise. Which would suggest that there’s essentially no room for error each time a corps steps off from here to Indy.

I had the extreme good fortune to be in the company of some exceptionally knowledgeable corps folks at NB, and the consensus is that BD’s a lock for 21; we’re all just duking it out for a podium spot or caption award. 

For me a tale of two shows: 1) ecstatic to have seen Crown ‘23 live, in DCI’s finest venue but 2) appreciating/accepting the inevitability of yet another BD title. Not a dis  mind you, a romping good product they’ve fielded this season. They do SO much, SO well.

Do I still  have hope for a C2C, Hail Mary, [your favorite] miracle finish here? I’m a Crownie, that’s what we do. Duh.

Point is, Inferno went down on the last run, of the last Sat. night of the season. Putting aside for the moment that BD’s are consummate gamers, can any corps get that close on finals night for that to even be in play?

If they make several clones of Jay Webb and he judges all the GE captions and percussion yeah I could see it happening.

• Haha 3

Good draw for Allentown. Going LAST Saturday night .. and if they are going to do the 👑 set … tick tock .. time is running out … 

I’m barely recovered from the triumvirate of shows this weekend. But it was fun. Tough to do Atlanta and NightBeat and go back to work Monday. 
So we’re down to the last two weeks. 🥲

• Like 3

I would love to see not only the Crown set, but a line of marchers (maybe guard or battery) in a straight line right up the middle of the Crown forming the sword. Just like their show logo.

• Like 3

I think I’m having live DCI separation anxiety. Lol

For those interested the CC/DCP planet meet-up happened!!! It was great.

Oh .. and if you want to make Friends of DCI donations .. they have early donations for 2024 open. 🤡

• Like 3

Looking at crowns Field&Floor post and each material they had printed, I didn’t realize the guard Ballad Flag was a 7’ flag pole which is not the easiest to toss with specially in wind.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BWise said:

Good draw for Allentown. Going LAST Saturday night .. and if they are going to do the 👑 set … tick tock .. time is running out … 

Crown set - yes! Seems longer overdue this year than most. 

Hoping for more than just a crown set. Let’s goose the GE as much as possible and get that silver!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Flguardman said:

Looking at crowns Field&Floor post and each material they had printed, I didn’t realize the guard Ballad Flag was a 7’ flag pole which is not the easiest to toss with specially in wind.

my arms got tired just reading this…

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BWise said:

I’m barely recovered from the triumvirate of shows this weekend. But it was fun. Tough to do Atlanta and NightBeat and go back to work Monday. 
So we’re down to the last two weeks. 🥲

I don't know if it's a good draw for them going last or not.  Looking at ATL and NB, they did better going before BAC, BC, and BD than they did going after BC and BD. 

Here is to hoping performance order doesn't end up mattering though and they finish 2nd (Sorry, don't think they are catching BD).

27 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

my arms got tired just reading this…

I’ve only made my students spin 7ft flag poles twice out of 19 years teaching. They absolutely hated it but it was a great GE moment. 

• Like 1