Staff Merry-go-round

5 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

For the guard folks, both were members of Crown, then Boston, and also Pride of Cincinnati. Some young folks coming in to head up the guard caption, both with a TON of performance talent. I believe both are on staff with POC now (and Mayhue formerly/currently on Boston's staff?). Will be interesting to see how they do in these roles.

Markell and Angie are both extremely talented, and I wish them well.  Somebody over at the Cavies needs to get on the stick in terms of recruitment, however.   In this era of 45-50 guard members, they're going have a difficult time becoming competitive again with 28 in the guard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, musicteacher said:

Cappy knows not whence he speaks re: Thom Hannum. 

Karuna is exactly right when he describes Hannum's approach. Hannum's modus operandi is support for the wind score. At one point he  wrote on that very subject. It is not drumming for the sake of drumming. The musicality of this approach -- nuance, transparency and texture -- is one of Thom's great contributions to the activity. He had the courage to stay true to that approach in the face of those who prefer "ramma jamma." 

To disparage his approach is beyond and pale. Thom is an artist of great integrity and musical sensitivity. Unfortunate that anyone who thinks like Cappy doesn't appreciate that fact. Thom Hannum is one of the best musicians the activity has seen. Period.

i greatly respect what Hannum has done for the game. but the last few years books have not seemed to be what elevates a program to the next level. 19 was the closest, and the program has come a long way since we worried it would cost Crown a ring. 

but if anyone has earned the right to say "i'm done", it's him. he picked up where Fred left off.

in 92, when Star came to Hershey, he came up the steps, and we had space so i told him to sit with us. i mentioned quickly i had done a clinic with him a few years ago with Westshore, which he remembered, and we had a quick laugh over an incident that night. he watched Star and asked if he could stay to watch Crossmen, and we said sure. even early July, when Bones got to the solo, he started laughing out loud at what they were doing. i said "the student learned well eh?" and he said Mark was never a student, just an equal in training. pretty cool thing to say

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i greatly respect what Hannum has done for the game. but the last few years books have not seemed to be what elevates a program to the next level. 19 was the closest, and the program has come a long way since we worried it would cost Crown a ring. 

but if anyone has earned the right to say "i'm done", it's him. he picked up where Fred left off.

in 92, when Star came to Hershey, he came up the steps, and we had space so i told him to sit with us. i mentioned quickly i had done a clinic with him a few years ago with Westshore, which he remembered, and we had a quick laugh over an incident that night. he watched Star and asked if he could stay to watch Crossmen, and we said sure. even early July, when Bones got to the solo, he started laughing out loud at what they were doing. i said "the student learned well eh?" and he said Mark was never a student, just an equal in training. pretty cool thing to say

The great ones are always humble. It’s the not-so-great ones who think they are, that are insufferable. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The great ones are always humble. It’s the not-so-great ones who think they are, that are insufferable. 

oh gosh, please stop bringing up GH 🤣

Edited by George Dixon
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, craiga said:

Markell and Angie are both extremely talented, and I wish them well.  Somebody over at the Cavies needs to get on the stick in terms of recruitment, however.   In this era of 45-50 guard members, they're going have a difficult time becoming competitive again with 28 in the guard.

I'd imagine that was the thought process in bringing in a new, younger staff to drive the caption and develop talent.  Guard kids tend to go where the staff members are, much more than brass and percussion. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1