Staff Merry-go-round

I'm not sure the need to be coy here. It has been alleged that Stephanie Chavez, while guard caption head at Regiment in 2021, did not effectively respond to a complaint made by a trans guard member who expressed alleged mistreatment by the assistant caption head.

Chavez is now listed among the Blue Knights guard staff as a consultant.

If the allegations are true, she clearly displayed a lack of good judgment in handling the situation, and who knows why? It could be argued that she has no place in drum corps because of this. It could be argued that, so long as she isn't a decision maker or leader, she can still use her talents. I don't know the answer, but it seems weird that she is involved with a corps so soon. That said, if anyone would want to be protective of trans students, it would be someone like Pyro Allen, and they presumably made the hire at BK.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I'm not sure the need to be coy here.

I'm not sure the need to use that word. This industry (community, members, alum, fans, orgs) retaliates against people who speak out... even about known reports of instances of abuse. Coy? Try "justifiably fearful of retaliation based in the history of this industry."

It has been alleged that Stephanie Chavez, while guard caption head at Regiment in 2021, did not effectively respond to a complaint made by a trans guard member who expressed alleged mistreatment by the assistant caption head.

"Not responding effectively" is a nice way of putting it. My understanding is that dismissing/mishandling a trans person's report of deadnaming is, itself, abusive or neglectful. Take your pick. If the culture within the group has escalated to intentional deadnaming, by staff, or the threat to do so, it's already been going on for a while. This is conjecture, to be fair, but I don't think being soft with our language to protect this "educator" is helpful.

Chavez is now listed among the Blue Knights guard staff as a consultant.

If the allegations are true, she clearly displayed a lack of good judgment in handling the situation, and who knows why?

Possibly because transphobia, ignorance and intolerance are rampant in our world and therefor also in the industry? Possibly a dash of limited continuing ed requirements/opportunities for colorguard staff? Maybe a hint of no standards for training in ethics? Possibly just a sprinkle of not knowing how to encourage young people without treating them like peons? Also, unless there have been drastic improvements in the last few decades, colorguard culture can be uniquely harmful. I've never seen that addressed anywhere...

Guard, unlike the instrumental sections, has no pedagogical or ethical standards outside of drum corps and winterguard. I assume colorguard teachers are still able to work in public school systems without educational credentials, experience, or training? Often, if I recall correctly, not even basic fingerprinting. Even then, I marched with enough instructors and members who worked in public k12 settings in the off season who were abusive monsters anyway so...

It could be argued that she has no place in drum corps because of this.

Yep. I'm arguing that as someone who was abused, harassed, and neglected within the colorguard caption. Couple misconduct with the fact that there IS NO CAREER PATHWAY for most colorguard people within or outside of the activity with the skills we've gained marching... and you've got a unique, nepotistic breeding ground for bad actors.

It could be argued that, so long as she isn't a decision maker or leader, she can still use her talents. I don't know the answer, but it seems weird that she is involved with a corps so soon.

Yes, very weird. There's a whole world of talent out there. To rely on a reported abusive person like this supposedly because of recruiting channels is unacceptable in youth education. I didn't even think BK guard had a recruitment problem... that guard was fire with what they were given. Constantly had me in tears of joy this season. That's more than I can say for several higher placing guards.

That said, if anyone would want to be protective of trans students, it would be someone like Pyro Allen, and they presumably made the hire at BK.

Good luck. I'm hoping the other consultant that I marched with has matured beyond the enabling and bullying behaviors I witnessed when I marched. I'll afford them that grace for now, given they shouldn't spend much time with the members in those roles anyway. Still I remain concerned about them both given their connections, whom the rest of this community seems to trust. I don't.

I definitely wouldn't spend my money or time there if I were an open eyed MM, but I wish the whole BK team good luck with all that and would relish in the chance to be proven wrong. That would mean MMs are safer, so it would be a serious net gain for everyone.

I assume I'll be flamed somehow for being OT again so... have at it. Staff. I'm still talking staff changes relevant to the upcoming season in very tangible ways.

Edit to add, as though I weren't already typing too much: I hope it's noted that Diamante, Phantom, and my own story all involve reports IN THE LAST YEAR of misconduct in the colorguard caption. It's almost like we're trying to tell the community something....

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I'm not sure the need to use that word... Coy? Try "justifiably fearful of retaliation based in the history of this industry."

"Not responding effectively" is a nice way of putting it... This is conjecture, to be fair, but I don't think being soft with our language to protect this "educator" is helpful.

Okay, so I can't use "coy" for people alluding to an issue without just coming out and saying it. And I also shouldn't use "not responding effectively" regarding a situation that neither you nor I know the full details about. Got it.

Possibly because transphobia, ignorance and intolerance are rampant in our world and therefor also in the industry? Possibly a dash of limited continuing ed requirements/opportunities for colorguard staff? Maybe a hint of no standards for training in ethics? Possibly just a sprinkle of not knowing how to encourage young people without treating them like peons? 

Or possibly because she felt intimidated to say something due to her friendship with Sheldon Apo? I don't know and neither do you. One thing is certain, if the allegations are true, she made a bad decision. 

I assume I'll be flamed somehow for being OT again so... have at it. Staff. I'm still talking staff changes relevant to the upcoming season in very tangible ways.

For someone who regularly brings up any criticism received on here, you're certainly not afraid to criticize others on this board.

• Thanks 2

BK has made a bad decision by hiring her; it's disappointing and says a great deal about what they value.

Best of luck recruiting a color guard with someone who has shown themselves to be unaware of trans issues (at best) and/or transphobic. 

This activity will not be better for all until we demand better.

It's important things like this get CALLED out.  Enough is enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

BK has made a bad decision by hiring her; it's disappointing and says a great deal about what they value.

Best of luck recruiting a color guard with someone who has shown themselves to be unaware of trans issues (at best) and/or transphobic. 

This activity will not be better for all until we demand better.

It's important things like this get CALLED out.  Enough is enough.

During the SoA debacle last winter, I recall BK being hailed as one of the ‘safe’ Corps.  I wonder if falling from the top 12 has put them under pressure to hire who ever it takes to get back in; potential abuse baggage be d*mned.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Okay, so I can't use "coy" for people alluding to an issue without just coming out and saying it.

You can say whatever you want. I'm taking a survivor-centered stance in pointing out your language and its disconnection from the harsh reality of abuse in the industry.

I'll say it again. There are countless reasons why witnesses and survivors can't "come out and say it." Please don't passive-aggressively put the added burden of fixing these problems on us. That's completely in the hands of the orgs and DCI.

And I also shouldn't use "not responding effectively" regarding a situation that neither you nor I know the full details about. Got it.

You seem to be reinforcing non survivor centered language here. Again, say what you want. I can't stop you. But due to my unique history in the activity, it hopefully makes sense why "not responding effectively" might hit home for me.

Or possibly because she felt intimidated to say something due to her friendship with Sheldon Apo? I don't know and neither do you. One thing is certain, if the allegations are true, she made a bad decision.

Well, not saying something because your friend is the alleged problem is completely unacceptable. And rampant. And harmful.

For someone who regularly brings up any criticism received on here, you're certainly not afraid to criticize others on this board.

I'm criticizing the words you typed into a public website, about a survivor-centered topic, through which your seem to defend or give leniency first to a potentially problematic hire. Why even give this person the benefit of the doubt at this point? We're talking youth education here... there's no room for mistakes or even the appearance or possibility of it.  If I'm off base, I apologize. That's what I'm getting from what your writing.

You, on the other hand, seem quick to criticize me directly. What I don't understand is why folks seem surprised that a survivor from this industry feels compelled to offer their reflections on the matter of a worrisome hire. So weird.

14 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

You can say whatever you want. I'm taking a survivor-centered stance in pointing out your language and its disconnection from the harsh reality of abuse in the industry.

I'll say it again. There are countless reasons why witnesses and survivors can't "come out and say it." Please don't passive-aggressively put the added burden of fixing these problems on us. That's completely in the hands of the orgs and DCI.

You seem to be reinforcing non survivor centered language here. Again, say what you want. I can't stop you. But due to my unique history in the activity, it hopefully makes sense why "not responding effectively" might hit home for me.

Well, not saying something because your friend is the alleged problem is completely unacceptable. And rampant. And harmful.

I'm criticizing the words you typed into a public website, about a survivor-centered topic, through which your seem to defend or give leniency first to a potentially problematic hire. Why even give this person the benefit of the doubt at this point? We're talking youth education here... there's no room for mistakes or even the appearance or possibility of it.  If I'm off base, I apologize. That's what I'm getting from what your writing.

You, on the other hand, seem quick to criticize me directly. What I don't understand is why folks seem surprised that a survivor from this industry feels compelled to offer their reflections on the matter of a worrisome hire. So weird.

Literally what on earth on you talking about with this entire post? I criticized Phantom Regiment multiple times for bring the caption head and assistant caption head back in 2022. And I restated that stance right before the season when the victim posted again to facebook and the story resurfaced. I am in no way giving leniency to Blue Knights hiring this person - so clearly the opposite. I try to find reason in why BK would make this hire, but you don't like that. I don't feel the need to use bold language about it, so I guess you need to be critical of me.

The point of my post was that people were beating around the bush (being coy) on the weird BK hire, and I wanted to state it specifically for those that didn't know. "There are countless reasons why witnesses and survivors can't 'come out and say it.'" - I'm literally referring to just stating why the BK hire could be problematic, nothing to do with witnesses or survivors. You try to project onto those who don't want to use the exact same language that you do. So weird.

You did this same thing to me when you first started posted here, and I DM'd you to clarify my stance (where we actually completely agreed, but you felt the need to project). It would be best if you just block me, because this is too much. 

And again... I find her hire problematic. I don't feel the need to say "SOMEONE AT BLUE KNIGHTS SHOULD BE FIRED AND THE CORPS SHOULD FOLD BECAUSE OF THIS." I find it weird that she was hired. I find that sufficient.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1