Phantom Regiment 2023

3 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

I honestly think it's silly. Same with corps not announcing their repertoires before the season. It's such a small activity with such a small following I am not sure why it's such a big deal to keep things secret.   

It would seem the more info put out before the season starts helps the judges to get an understanding on the theme.  I like how the Cavies explained just about everything they're doing/playing which will sure make fans wanting to see them soon.

Edited by TOC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

I honestly think it's silly. Same with corps not announcing their repertoires before the season. It's such a small activity with such a small following I am not sure why it's such a big deal to keep things secret.   

The reasoning which is usually offered revolves around having your concept demolished online before it's ever seen by a judge.  This is silly because if armchair critics can ruin your chances,  maybe you should have done a better job designing your product.  

The second reason usually involves creating excitement at the first public performance.  While this may have been true when printed media was the method typical fans learned of shows, it's certainly not hard today to search social media and find plenty of leaks.   In fact even in the days of printed media,  cassette tapes were copied and passed everywhere.  

I think it's mostly because corps administrations like to imagine they are the holders of the secret knowledge.  Again -- silly -- but...well...

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

The reason they hold off on music announcements is because of not having the needed rights to the tunes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

The reason they hold off on music announcements is because of not having the needed rights to the tunes.

But they have made their repertoire known, and their show design, and their uniform. I’m good with that.

• Like 2

I always love people that have slotted everyone before they have even seen the first show.  Not only that but their reviews...lets say their creds are a little sus.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Baloney. That was true 15-20 years ago, when obtaining all of the mandatory rights and coordination licenses was still a fairly new industry, but not anymore. I can assure you that many of the "heavy hitters" started asking for this season's rights before last season was even concluded. And I doubt any of the Top 6 had any unresolved licensing issues after about March of this year. At the latest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hostrauser said:

Baloney. That was true 15-20 years ago, when obtaining all of the mandatory rights and coordination licenses was still a fairly new industry, but not anymore. I can assure you that many of the "heavy hitters" started asking for this season's rights before last season was even concluded. And I doubt any of the Top 6 had any unresolved licensing issues after about March of this year. At the latest.

Ouch!  Baloney?  It is true in some cases so you’re not quite right.   There are instances where some rights aren’t obtained by March,  as not all music is always fully locked in. And in cases where a corps may want to change anything, more rights need to be obtained. And no one is asking for rights before the season ends.  Most decisions on a program aren’t committed by many corps until September or even October.  There are lots of unknowns in September.

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Ouch!  Baloney?  It is true in some cases so you’re not quite right.   There are instances where some rights aren’t obtained by March,  as not all music is always fully locked in. And in cases where a corps may want to change anything, more rights need to be obtained. And no one is asking for rights before the season ends.  Most decisions on a program aren’t committed by many corps until September or even October.  There are lots of unknowns in September.

Correct me if I am wrong but didnt cavies get screwed with losing rights during moveins one year?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TOC said:

I like how the Cavies explained just about everything they're doing/playing which will sure make fans wanting to see them soon.

That Cavies discussion was great. That's how you provide depth to a show design.