Phantom Regiment 2023

46 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

This would be a make a great SCV show this year! 😶

I thought that also. 

2 minutes ago, old drmmjr said:

I thought that also. 

That's something I hadn't thought of, but I think you're right. 

I'm no musical genius by any means ( I am a weird drummer, remember ), but I'm still not seeing all the references to this show being so "Different Phantom". To me, it sounds like the PR I've always known, respected and loved. It's not such more the scores being played or who wrote them as it is the heart behind it all being played for me. 

It's not such more the scores being played or who wrote them as it is the heart behind it all being played for me.”

Exactly. This book and - I will assume - the visual package have been designed to compete with other top 6 corps, and has a sprinkling of Phantom to keep us older phans happy. The choice of repertoire is less traditional, the chords are voiced for a more modern sound, and the arrangement is less wall-to-wall notes. It has a few of those Phantom moments though to reference where they came from. 

Edited by PRomoter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Ehhhhhhhh…I don’t like it. 

Most of the show feels like brass exercises. Very little melody. And the percussion plays too much for a section that’s not very good. 

Arbans!

4 hours ago, PRomoter said:

I spent my entire time getting ready for work this morning talking to my wife about how this show is bittersweet for me. I want them to be successful, but I know that means I have to give up the kind of show I love for what will be successful competitively. I may not like what is competitive these days, but I want the kids to have the incredible opportunity that is PR, and you can’t have an incredible opportunity if the corps no longer exists because it can’t compete. I believe this show will be very competitive, so I am very happy to know the corps is headed in the direction needed to continue operating into the future. But, I will miss what I loved about who they used to be, and will go through the growing pains to learn to love who they become. 

You know I was thinking about this and I 101% get it. I also think that MY natural reaction if I were running a corps and watching my competition shift to writing to the sheets, would be the exact same as what I think we are seeing....overcorrection. We see it daily in corporate training. You aren't  meeting the numbers but another line of business is, beg borrow and steal their ideas to try and course correct. Then once the dust settles and you have SOME positive results, you step back and reassess what actually worked and what was just plain dumb luck. 

PR will not beat BD (or Bloo) playing their game. They have to try some new things and then write their own game. 

Just MHO

P.S. Be kind as I am a drummer and you all know how fragile drummers egos are. (I'm joking of course)

Very random thoughts:

1.  Really liking the percussion rhythms beginning the show.

2. Overall brass sound is great for this early in the season.

3.  Really not liking the excessive battery work in the Rachmaninoff; far too intrusive

4.  The music sounds like it was written to support a visual program rather than stand on its own.  I mean, there were sections that sounded really good, but didn't quite go to 11 the way they needed to---but I can see how that music could serve as punctuation for the visual program.  (I tried to make that make sense, i really did.)  I get that's what modern drum corp is, but...  (Also, get off my lawn.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

This would be a make a great SCV show this year! 😶

Funny! In 2018 I watched SCV and thought "this could have been a great Regiment show." 

In all fairness this show reminds me of the slightly outside the box risk we took in 93. A lot of people were not fully onboard with what we premiered saying it wasn't their cup of tea but we won them over in the end. I can't wait to see what they put on the field to go with this.  

5 hours ago, PRomoter said:

I spent my entire time getting ready for work this morning talking to my wife about how this show is bittersweet for me. I want them to be successful, but I know that means I have to give up the kind of show I love for what will be successful competitively. I may not like what is competitive these days, but I want the kids to have the incredible opportunity that is PR, and you can’t have an incredible opportunity if the corps no longer exists because it can’t compete. I believe this show will be very competitive, so I am very happy to know the corps is headed in the direction needed to continue operating into the future. But, I will miss what I loved about who they used to be, and will go through the growing pains to learn to love who they become. 

Growth can be like that. He**, I’ve seen several evolutions of this organization some great, some not so good, but I always believed in them and their ability to reach their audiences.

This show is reaching a new audience and I think it’s a beautiful thing. Who knows, by the end of the season, they may be bringing us along on their emotional journey.

• Like 1