Madison Scouts 2023

Gee Wally all we need to do is have a lemonade stand and think happy thoughts and everything will get better!

With respect the “pull together and get behind them” approach has had many years to work and it hasn’t. The board and director need to resign or be flushed and replaced. Not with relics of the past but looking to the future. I’m sure Mr. Seidling is a great guy but the future is with people like the staffers of the Bluecoats. Go entice a few of them over and rebuild!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Swmstom1998 said:

He is, and has been for quite a few years. But Pat is a Madison alum and spent many years on non-teaching staff. Pat has a soft spot in his heart for his corps, plus he has a knack for bringing corps up from nearly dead (Southwind and Phantom)

I dropped out of the drum corps scene after 94 and only recently came back since my son was contracted in one. What were the years Phantom was out in the wilderness?

Edited by 1992AllOverAgain
Added more context to my question

Nice photos posted today on FB of Madison's brass line working with Robert W Smith. I actually really like this show and think they will be plenty entertaining and good come Finals week. Stay focused and emjoy your summer, Madison! Don't let all the doom and gloom talk on here get you down. I am pulling for you and I enjoy the show. 

• Like 2

On 7/6/2023 at 12:44 PM, HockeyDad said:

Gee Wally all we need to do is have a lemonade stand and think happy thoughts and everything will get better!

With respect the “pull together and get behind them” approach has had many years to work and it hasn’t. The board and director need to resign or be flushed and replaced. Not with relics of the past but looking to the future. I’m sure Mr. Seidling is a great guy but the future is with people like the staffers of the Bluecoats. Go entice a few of them over and rebuild!

100%. Apathy and mediocrity should never be acceptable, but they have been for many years with the Scouts. It is extremely sad to see. 

On 7/6/2023 at 2:45 PM, 1992AllOverAgain said:

I dropped out of the drum corps scene after 94 and only recently came back since my son was contracted in one. What were the years Phantom was out in the wilderness?

I think I remember around 2015 phantom was going through some financial troubles where it was threatened they would be where SCV is now. 

On 7/6/2023 at 1:45 PM, 1992AllOverAgain said:

Regiment had a bit of a revolving door at the director spot in the late 90s and early 00s. Dave Kampschroer and John Baumgartner were keeping the seat warm from 98 to 02. Seidling joined Regiment in 01, then became director from 02 to 06. I'm sure several folks were involved, but he clearly played a role in them being stable and back at the top of the game again. I don't know what role the director plays in making hires, but Regiment hired the dream team of JD Shaw, the Rennicks, Jamey Thompson, and Adam Sage during his tenure, and they won a title in 08 on the foundation he laid. 

The Scouts would be foolish to not check with him if they're looking to restructure. And I'd argue he'd be foolish to say yes (unless he just consulted). 

On 7/6/2023 at 1:44 PM, HockeyDad said:

I won’t name names, but from a staff perspective in the activity, designing at Madison is not looked at as a popular destination because of past experiences with the alumni base.  That’s definitely discussed throughout.  Some people like the freedom to create and openness to ideas of other organizations.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2023 at 10:54 PM, Swmstom1998 said:

He is, and has been for quite a few years. But Pat is a Madison alum and spent many years on non-teaching staff. Pat has a soft spot in his heart for his corps, plus he has a knack for bringing corps up from nearly dead (Southwind and Phantom)

I marched with Pat in 1983, my first year in Madison. He definitely has a soft spot for the scouts.

7 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

I won’t name names, but from a staff perspective in the activity, designing at Madison is not looked at as a popular destination because of past experiences with the alumni base.  That’s definitely discussed throughout.  Some people like the freedom to create and openness to ideas of other organizations.  

This isn’t untrue.  It boils down to “is the headache from the old balls worth it?” 

• Like 1