Madison Scouts 2023

13 hours ago, C.Holland said:

This isn’t untrue.  It boils down to “is the headache from the old balls worth it?” 

They're thin skinned if that's the case. I believe in the Four Agreements. What do they do in a critique when a judge pans their work?

And, what does "old balls" mean? Is that a pejorative or a term of endearment? 

Best wishes to the creative and instructional staff, and members for a great season!

Edited by madisonsmiley

15 minutes ago, madisonsmiley said:

The current management fired Jim Mason, who is an alumnus, has an outstanding track record of success, was making significant contributions to the corps, and didn't require $$$.

While I enjoyed the Mason years (though preferred 2015 to anything Mason fielded), I'm pretty sure you could go back to the Madison threads in those years and see that they are full of complaints about the competitive and design direction of the corps. 

And that further proves the point that Madison alums have a history of being cranky and vocal, and potentially having a negative influence on designers wanting to join the team.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

While I enjoyed the Mason years (though preferred 2015 to anything Mason fielded), I'm pretty sure you could go back to the Madison threads in those years and see that they are full of complaints about the competitive and design direction of the corps. 

And that further proves the point that Madison alums have a history of being cranky and vocal, and potentially having a negative influence on designers wanting to join the team.

I don't think the organization or activity matters but I find the far majority of alumni fall into 2 categories.

Cranky and vocal or apathetic and uninvolved.

Those that fall in between those 2 categories are the ones that matter and are doing the real work.

Edited by gbass598
spelling
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 1:00 AM, Reggi93 said:

I just take exception with a ton of people seemingly expecting some miracle there instead of just supporting the corps as they turn the ship around. 

Your entire post was thoughtful. I think an important point here, though, is that some people don't agree that the ship is being turned around. That isn't a ridiculous position. They might be wrong. But you can't ask anyone to support the corps unwaveringly if they have reasonable doubts about the leadership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, madisonsmiley said:

It isn't fair to paint the alumni with a broad brush. The alumni want the organization to be well managed, relevant, competitive, and be treated respectfully. If they were well managed, wowed crowds, were competitive, and alumni were treated respectfully in their personal interactions with Komnick, most alumni would be delighted. 

Best wishes to all of the creative and instructional staff, and members for a great season!

This is the topic that needs to be discussed. What is more important being the Madison that gets the crowd up or competitive success? IMO that's the crossroads they are at. Being old school gets fans but drops competitively. Or go where they haven't gone and be more electronic and modern. Personally I think they should try and do a show like Hamilton.  What made Hamilton huge was the style and how they told the story. Blue Stars brought In the Heights to the field and that worked well. 

As an outsider unaffiliated with the Madison Scouts in any manner , I am so pleased that the members chose this Corps to match this season . They are part of an unbreakable chain of Madison Scouts that march proudly and keep the corps going and entertain fans and learn life lessons that will serve them well forever .  They are a success in the things that matter most . Good luck thus season and enjoy your summer entertaining us !

10 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Yup. He went under the bus from some alumni, so did anyone who’s taught there.  It’s a fishbowl of varied unrealistic expectations. There’s been many a group that was shut down due to old dude toxicity.  It’s also why many younger alumni have no desire to mingle with with elder ones.  It’s like going to thanksgiving and listening to your cranky old uncle spout political propaganda at you all evening. 

if you’re a current scout reading this, I’m behind you all the way. Many of us are. If you’re coming near nyc, drop me a line. First beverage is on me. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I think an important point here, though, is that some people don't agree that the ship is being turned around. That isn't a ridiculous position. They might be wrong. But you can't ask anyone to support the corps unwaveringly if they have reasonable doubts about the leadership.

3 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

There’s been many a group that was shut down due to old dude toxicity.  It’s also why many younger alumni have no desire to mingle with with elder ones.  It’s like going to thanksgiving and listening to your cranky old uncle spout political propaganda at you all evening. 

This sounds familiar to me for some strange reason... :whistle:

As much as one can set that aside, I'm wishing the current members an excellent season and look forward to catching the latest recipe asap!

I’m really digging this offering of the Madison Scouts! I really liked last year’s show too, but this definitely takes it up a notch for me…brass is making great strides and putting out the power and energy! Drum line is really grooving and playing some major notes and doing it pretty cleanly (from what I can tell as a non drummer), guard is starting to clean up…and now that I’ve seen the drill from up top, there are some great moments and a lot of potential to grow as they start to clean! And….LOVE the Kenton piece!! 

GO SCOUTS!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

This sounds familiar to me for some strange reason... :whistle:

As much as one can set that aside, I'm wishing the current members an excellent season and look forward to catching the latest recipe asap!

I guess old corps have old crazies who are similar.  

FWIW there are many of us who still go to shows, meet the members,  help out at camps, pay our dues, sell souvies etc etc etc and are simply devoid of the alumni org.  And we’re ok with it. I see alumni in nyc a few times a year. They have my cell.  Otherwise I’ve  Got enough BS to deal with in regular life, why add to it on my time off.   There are holiday dinners I won’t attend either, for similar reasons and that’s ok. 

• Like 2