Madison Scouts 2023

1992 was an absolutely fantastic year for the Scouts.  It was an incredibly well-conceived show musically and visually, and it doesn't hurt that Camp Randall's field makes DCI corps look like a million bucks on TV.  Seriously, every time Finals is there, the broadcasts just have extra color depth that makes the groups pop.  And yeah, Funny is just an instant classic.  

Mike

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MikeN said:

1992 was an absolutely fantastic year for the Scouts.  It was an incredibly well-conceived show musically and visually, and it doesn't hurt that Camp Randall's field makes DCI corps look like a million bucks on TV.  Seriously, every time Finals is there, the broadcasts just have extra color depth that makes the groups pop.  And yeah, Funny is just an instant classic.  

Mike

The lighting was made for drum corps

• Like 2

One of my favorite Madison tunes is Encore, Boerma's closer from 1993. Absolutely love it. Edit: I'd further say that 93 Madison is a perfectly constructed early 90s drum corps show.

One of my favorites from recent history is 2015. Except for the lady mannequins...

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 2

I love this year’s Kenton chart!

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Few members are actually from the area anymore (Rockford, Madison, Rosemont, LaCrosse). That doesn’t seem much of a factor today. 

True....I was focused on potential members who may not be able to fly to corps camps.  Yet, your comment even further solidifies the argument that few will want to march will Madison until they fix their competitive stance, as many have other options.

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

One of my favorite Madison tunes is Encore, Boerma's closer from 1993. Absolutely love it. Edit: I'd further say that 93 Madison is a perfectly constructed early 90s drum corps show.

Extremely underrated. 

• Like 1

I will always think some of the most exciting 30 seconds of music in DCI was the last 30 seconds of '84 Scouts. Just a wall of sound after wall of sound after wall of sound. 

• Like 1

Far from being my favorite but I admire what they did in 2017. Last Man Standing was a bold move. I think it could have set them up to transition into a modern style that was still “Madison”. Alas, they chickened out and did a complete 180. “The heart, the heart”. I really think they squandered what they had built. 

• Like 1

So many great Madison years…among my favorites are 92, 95, 97…..I loved the ballad from 2006 (actually I’ve really warmed up to that entire show over the years)….and speaking of ballads, I’m really liking this year’s ballad and how they reprise it at the end. And I double what Vuitton said about the 84 closer! That was epic! (Btw, I love how the 2015 closer makes a nod to 84!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

One of my favorites from recent history is 2015. Except for the lady mannequins...

@kdaddy Ironically, I thought our closer was a bit of a let down after Strawberry Soup.  I remember reworking it musically and drill-wise quite a bit.  I DO remember hearing  from folks that there was a thought of bringing back Remembrance as the closer at some point in pre-season.  I  also *think* they didn't want to play Ice Castles as the first two charts were already from past shows..I think they wanted an "Ice Castles"-esq type song though. .  In my opinion, I'm not sure we had the musical horses that year to pull off Numero Uno, Soup and Remembrance in a show but man it would have been fun to try!  I also believe the groundwork for 1994-1997 from a quality standpoint was laid in 1993.  I recall it being a bit of a transition as most of the 1988/89 guys had aged out and the line was full of younger guys or guys new to Scouts.  Not for nothing..

• Like 2