Off Season Rambling

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

here i'll add fuel....

it stopped being a bugle when the first valve was added.

( i'll get my popcorn now)

This is precisely what my mentor, John Sasso, said when someone complained that the contra bass was a bridge too far.

Actually, folks have been messing with the "natural horn" for centuries, in every key imaginable. Check this out (and re-load the popcorn bowl):

https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2014/05/inside-the-arc-to-key-or-not-to-key/

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

This is precisely what my mentor, John Sasso, said when someone complained that the contra bass was a bridge too far.

Actually, folks have been messing with the "natural horn" for centuries, in every key imaginable. Check this out (and re-load the popcorn bowl):

I'd pay extra to see a corps use that Royal Kent Bugle instead of trumpets one year.  That thing looks beastly. 

• Like 1

test

Sorry, I had a big reply written, but DCP gave me an error so I cannot post the reply.

This comment can no longer be edited. It may have been moved or deleted, or too much time may have passed since it was posted for it to be edited.

Edited by jjeffeory

3 hours ago, Lance said:

I'd pay extra to see a corps use that Royal Kent Bugle instead of trumpets one year.  That thing looks beastly. 

It's a beast simply to hold, never mind playing the bugger. It really does sing on "God Save the King" in concert F, however.

I think that was it's original job in any case. The Duke of Kent wanted his drum and bugle band to blow away all those wimpy woodwind groups.

Edited by ironlips
clarity
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ironlips said:

Cool fictional story reposted here Bro.  I'd love to hear " Chief Musician, Pepus Notarius, "... lol... ( a.k.a, Pepe Notaro ) real take on all this if he were alive today.  😊

Ironically, for those interested in American history re. instrumentation in " traditional Drum Corps ", going all the way back to American Colonial Days, unlike many of our European friends at the time, our earliest " traditional Drum Corps " utilized woodwinds ( fifes ) not brass instrumentation ( a bugle ). It was not until much later that the bugle was added to the military styled " Drum Corps ", principally utilized to awaken the troops from sleep, and/ or as a rallying instrument to " march ".  The bugle was chosen principally by later US military units due to its utilitarian value to carry sound loudly and at great distance , something a fife for example by comparison, could not due as efficiently.  

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Real buglers don’t need no stinkin’ valves 

thanks Corporal O'Reilly

On 10/18/2022 at 11:36 PM, ironlips said:

One is not better than the other. They are just different, with different advantages and disadvantages.

Sounds like the members of my family. 😂

• Haha 3

The infantry (soldiers who marched on foot) used fifes because it takes both hands to play a fife. The cavalry (soldiers who rode a horse) needed one hand to hold the reins of the horse, so they could not play fifes. They played bugles.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, traverbanking said:

The infantry (soldiers who marched on foot) used fifes because it takes both hands to play a fife. The cavalry (soldiers who rode a horse) needed one hand to hold the reins of the horse, so they could not play fifes. They played bugles.

In Royal Marines band it is the drummers who are also buglers