4 DAYS TILL DCI SCHEDULE RELEASE?

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

not entirely free.....there is some cost, but corps often recoup that selling items after the season. some corps even lease equipment to bands in the fall

Theoretically it is possible where corps are able to purchase equipment at great discount. A discount possible, only by having say, a good enough brass line that the discounter could promote.  Then the corps could resell and recoup all that was spent on the brass, maybe make a bit more, and put it all toward another new set of brass for the following season. This cycle, if smartly planned out creates an opportunity to obtain top grade instruments year after year.  Saving money and improving quality on an upward climb in the ranks.  Similar process for percussion.  And as the success grows, I suspect the competitiveness of the manufacturers comes into play and deals get better. It’s a long slow process that requires patience.  Theoretically.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Better not let your family see this post.  That Christmas shopping bill can go pretty high with impunity, as long as it stays short of the top 4 household expenses.

while i appreciate your sarcasm, Christmas in our house is more about the reason for the season than running to the mall or keeping Amazon in business.

And it shows your basic inability to grasp the finances of drum corps. As well as grasp the fact i'm not here defending the corps at all. i'm just explaining the realities of it. that doesn't mean i endorse it...i've been the one for a long time now complaining about extended spring training and the drag it puts on the budget when few else do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Theoretically it is possible where corps are able to purchase equipment at great discount. A discount possible, only by having say, a good enough brass line that the discounter could promote.  Then the corps could resell and recoup all that was spent on the brass, maybe make a bit more, and put it all toward another new set of brass for the following season. This cycle, if smartly planned out creates an opportunity to obtain top grade instruments year after year.  Saving money and improving quality on an upward climb in the ranks.  Similar process for percussion.  And as the success grows, I suspect the competitiveness of the manufacturers comes into play and deals get better. It’s a long slow process that requires patience.  Theoretically.

agreed in theory it makes sense. now i don't think it does universally, but some smart corps have figured out a way to make it work. but i can think of a few corps that have done quite well consigning stuff for resale.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

agreed in theory it makes sense. now i don't think it does universally, but some smart corps have figured out a way to make it work. but i can think of a few corps that have done quite well consigning stuff for resale.

Many already do this. They have a commitment to selling their equipment every year, or they end up paying for it. Usually they are given the discount for the full line of equipment, and if they can sell it all, it becomes a fund raiser.  There’s a “used equipment” section on most corps websites.  Even open class has been offered this deal from manufacturers.  Only hard part is finding a buyer for ten to twenty horns at a time. Or for a full battery, r at least a full bass drum or snare line. You don’t really want to mix models from year to year as the depreciate in value quickly.   But flags, props, horns, drum major stands, everything is up,for sale at the end of the season if a corps can A. Make money off it, and B. Has someone to handle the transaction. 

11 hours ago, TOC said:

Wonder how many years a set of brass life cycle is before it's recycle time.

For Guardians, it was 4 years.  We'd resell/buy a section per year of trumpets, mellos, baris/euphs and tubas.  Down at our level, there are no free lunches - we were paying the difference out of pocket.

Mike

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MikeN said:

For Guardians, it was 4 years.  We'd resell/buy a section per year of trumpets, mellos, baris/euphs and tubas.  Down at our level, there are no free lunches - we were paying the difference out of pocket.

Mike

I was wondering as have seen posts claiming that corps use horns so much that they are trash after one season…. Then you bring up how the earlier era horns were used for years and years and you get 🤬🤬🤬 as a response.

ironic timing as just got back the trombone I used when I first started. Finish is total gone but still plays 55 years later.

• Like 1