4 DAYS TILL DCI SCHEDULE RELEASE?

13 hours ago, TOC said:

Wonder how many years a set of brass life cycle is before it's recycle time.

I’m certain some groups have figured how how to manage the assets and procurement process well enough, they are able to get new brass and percussion every season.  
there was a question about guard equipment; that is likely all new too as I am sure flags, rifles and sabers get the crap beat out of them every year.  Plus silks would be changed yearly because of show specifics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I was wondering as have seen posts claiming that corps use horns so much that they are trash after one season…. Then you bring up how the earlier era horns were used for years and years and you get 🤬🤬🤬 as a response.

ironic timing as just got back the trombone I used when I first started. Finish is total gone but still plays 55 years later.

not trash after one season.  just not as profitable on resale. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I’m certain some groups have figured how how to manage the assets and procurement process well enough, they are able to get new brass and percussion every season.  
there was a question about guard equipment; that is likely all new too as I am sure flags, rifles and sabers get the crap beat out of them every year.  Plus silks would be changed yearly because of show specifics.

it depends on the corps.  My first year teaching Open Class some of the horns had at least ten seasons on them.  The tubas even more.   We then got a whole new line the next season, except for tubas. (sigh)  

Battery was five years old at least, front ensemble was a mix of old stuff, and borrowed stuff.   The elex were at least 5 years old.  

When the new lines were purchased, the old was sold but deeply discounted because... old, beaten up, etc etc.   

The brass supplier did try to get us to sell our lines every year, so they made more money, and we could use it as a fundraiser, but we weren't setup to be a vendor due to lack of people to manage the process and to help collect fees, package, ship..etc. 

Flags and uniforms are much easier to sell.  Just get a few big old packing boxes and away you go.  We sold those every year. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Thanks y'all. I recall most of it being new and likely resold each year BITD. No real change there.

Sabres and (some) rifles may be different in some cases (still?) because some individuals prefer specific weighting. Toothpicks like me shouldn't be spinning the heaviest rifles, for example. Just curious how bespoke individual weapons remain and whether the corps is responsible for repair... but I digress. 🙂

I'm not in the guard.  But if I remember correctly.  Show needs are provided as part of tuition with the exception of gloves and certain parts of the uniforms which sit close to the body.  (underthings or unmentionables as some call them)  Sabres, rifles, poles, danceable chatchkis... are all provided by the corps as part of the operating budget.  Some then keep the equipment for next season and replace as needed, or try to sell it to schools.   Often i remember seeing bags of poles in the equipment truck for auditions (in case someone was flying to camp) that got a rehearsal flag taped on at the first camp.  Rifles and sabres were available for purchase by the membership if they liked the one they received. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

not trash after one season.  just not as profitable on resale. 

Can understand that. Forget whole post but something about valves held on with silver duct tape. No idea how old the horns were. Not a top 12 corps at the time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Can understand that. Forget whole post but something about valves held on with silver duct tape. No idea how old the horns were. Not a top 12 corps at the time

When I came to 27, I assembled my soprano from parts of three other salvaged horns. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

keep in mind, this activity is no longer a service activity.  Its a sold touring experience.   Busses, care, feeding, wardrobe, equipment, and "education" are all expected to be a premium.   Students save up to pay for less seasons.   Maybe they tour a 1-2 seasons in open class or dca, then move onto 1, maybe 2 world if they're lucky.   If the experience isn't amazing in one place, they'll quickly take their money someplace else. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C.Holland said:

it depends on the corps.  My first year teaching Open Class some of the horns had at least ten seasons on them.  The tubas even more.   We then got a whole new line the next season, except for tubas. (sigh)  

Battery was five years old at least, front ensemble was a mix of old stuff, and borrowed stuff.   The elex were at least 5 years old.  

When the new lines were purchased, the old was sold but deeply discounted because... old, beaten up, etc etc.   

The brass supplier did try to get us to sell our lines every year, so they made more money, and we could use it as a fundraiser, but we weren't setup to be a vendor due to lack of people to manage the process and to help collect fees, package, ship..etc. 

Flags and uniforms are much easier to sell.  Just get a few big old packing boxes and away you go.  We sold those every year. 

Who bought those heavy ### stages with ICONIC on them? 😉