The Cadets 2023

To quote Gil Scott Heron: " What is has, will surely last,but is that jazz?"

• Like 1

Am I the only one who noticed it?  On the FloMarching recording of the Cadets at CrownBEAT, there’s a Garfield “G” in the drill from 15:00 to 15:04 (high cam) in the bottom left corner of your screen. It’s the capital G with an arrow pointed up in place of the bar across. COOL!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, fifer said:

Am I the only one who noticed it?  On the FloMarching recording of the Cadets at CrownBEAT, there’s a Garfield “G” in the drill from 15:00 to 15:04 (high cam) in the bottom left corner of your screen. It’s the capital G with an arrow pointed up in place of the bar across. COOL!!

Nope. There were a few more who caught it.  Not sure if it's an addition or just now cleaning to be noticeable.  I'll look for it next read though!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

If you’re gonna do this to measure demand — and I’m not sure you should — you should probably come up with a more robust definition of demand than “marching while playing.” Especially if we’re gonna pretend that we’re seeing this as the judges might.   

For example: You mention that the show opens with a 1:12minute battery feature, but you don’t mention what the hornline is doing during that feature, which includes sprinting and dancing. So when we get to sections like “Brass stands and plays another 24 second during Triple Tonging Feature,” we should probably keep in mind the cardio stress of the preceding 2 minutes and the difficulty of performing a clean triple tonguing feature, as an ensemble, under those conditions. You can’t just summarize this stuff as “movement” when the movement includes sprinting. 

Further — I’ve said before and I’ll say again — it’s a big mistake to think that continual marching + playing is a higher demand activity than the start/stop approach. The start/stop approach is way closer to interval training — brief spurts of intense cardio alternating with brief spurts of rest — and there’s a reason why people looking for intense cardio favor interval training to, say, taking a long jog. Interval training places higher demands on the body than more durative periods of straight exercise. When you add playing an instrument to the mix, game over.  

I get that people love and prefer old school drum corps and that’s their choice. I love that stuff too. But there’s a difference between what we prefer and what’s actually harder. I’m begging us to understand the difference.

As a 20 year ultra marathoner [30 mi+] marching brass musician & 30 yr+ music educator, I ask: how do you suggest DCI judges both internalize & evaluate this. I don't necessarily think this is on the sheets, per se.  Do judges have heart monitor feedback? C'mon... Unless those judges have actually DONE that demand, how in the eff can they credit and value levels of performance in that physical realm. I'm not disagreeing with your premise of physical demand differences, but it will be a mute point under current judging system.

On 7/10/2023 at 12:13 AM, saxfreq1128 said:

If you’re gonna do this to measure demand — and I’m not sure you should — you should probably come up with a more robust definition of demand than “marching while playing.” Especially if we’re gonna pretend that we’re seeing this as the judges might.   

For example: You mention that the show opens with a 1:12minute battery feature, but you don’t mention what the hornline is doing during that feature, which includes sprinting and dancing. So when we get to sections like “Brass stands and plays another 24 second during Triple Tonging Feature,” we should probably keep in mind the cardio stress of the preceding 2 minutes and the difficulty of performing a clean triple tonguing feature, as an ensemble, under those conditions. You can’t just summarize this stuff as “movement” when the movement includes sprinting. 

Further — I’ve said before and I’ll say again — it’s a big mistake to think that continual marching + playing is a higher demand activity than the start/stop approach. The start/stop approach is way closer to interval training — brief spurts of intense cardio alternating with brief spurts of rest — and there’s a reason why people looking for intense cardio favor interval training to, say, taking a long jog. Interval training places higher demands on the body than more durative periods of straight exercise. When you add playing an instrument to the mix, game over.  

I get that people love and prefer old school drum corps and that’s their choice. I love that stuff too. But there’s a difference between what we prefer and what’s actually harder. I’m begging us to understand the difference.

7 hours ago, JAZZER said:

As a 20 year ultra marathoner [30 mi+] marching brass musician & 30 yr+ music educator, I ask: how do you suggest DCI judges both internalize & evaluate this. I don't necessarily think this is on the sheets, per se.  Do judges have heart monitor feedback? C'mon... Unless those judges have actually DONE that demand, how in the eff can they credit and value levels of performance in that physical realm. I'm not disagreeing with your premise of physical demand differences, but it will be a moot point under current judging system.

Just because we all haven’t done the activity at the level it is today, doesn’t mean we’ve never done the activity or taught the activity. We all know what it’s like to March and play. What it takes to keep good tone quality. We can all see with our eyes as members exert energy and then play well during or right after high visual content. A brass judge is going to go “wow you just did all this running and now you may be standing still but you’ve certainly exerted effort and are still playing with quality tone” or they can credit the simultaneous responsibility of playing and doing choreography while maintaining good tone. 

But all of this is just one piece. It’s all difficult. Running around doing choreo and then picking up a horn and playing. Or playing while doing choreography. It’s all difficult. The point is recognizing that, on top of allllll the other things a judge needs to recognize and evaluating what is more challenging and achieved over the course of the whole program. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised that people aren't seeing what I'm seeing. I'm seeing a show that is clearly top 5 in its complexity and design. I love this show. I think it's their best design in a long time. I think it has great potential. It is my pick for 5th place if they can clean and really show the judges the high content. If they can't, then I don't think they'll get by Regiment, but I don't see this show finishing lower than 6th.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Vuitton said:

I'm surprised that people aren't seeing what I'm seeing. I'm seeing a show that is clearly top 5 in its complexity and design. I love this show. I think it's their best design in a long time. I think it has great potential. It is my pick for 5th place if they can clean and really show the judges the high content. If they can't, then I don't think they'll get by Regiment, but I don't see this show finishing lower than 6th.

I'm with you.  The haters came out in droves once the uniforms/costumes went public and think most wrote off the complete show over that.  I'm hoping they have a great push to the finish as they continue to polish.  Keep pushing, Cadets! Keep RISING! 

• Like 2

My issue with this show is that the mythology surrounding Atlas is incredible. The story of Atlas holding up the weight of the world as punishment has incredible depth and there are so many ways it could have been explored.

Instead, we get this shallow and seemingly low effort design that does this top 5 ensemble a disservice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Bird said:

My issue with this show is that the mythology surrounding Atlas is incredible. The story of Atlas holding up the weight of the world as punishment has incredible depth and there are so many ways it could have been explored.

Instead, we get this shallow and seemingly low effort design that does this top 5 ensemble a disservice.

Yes, because all of other concepts/shows are SPOT on, from Camelot to the HR Puff and Stuff tribute and everything in-between.  Please....

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1