How Does the Activity Expect to Survive.

13 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Well, again, I'm talking about Open Class, where no one is showing up for them relative to the WC shows anyway. 

Evidently, you are not showing up.  If you were, you would know that attendance at open-class events varies tremendously depending on how the event is formatted and promoted.

So the same old timers who ignore Open Class now would be ignoring Open Class if they had a few flutes in the interest of having more kids doing summer band (which is what drum corps is, call it what it is). Net effect, zero

I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, and presume you are making a sincere suggestion for growing drum corps.  Comments like this one, however, make me wonder if this is all just a veiled push to sneak woodwinds into DCI via the back door of open-class.

I will repeat - scholastic groups are not sitting out the DCI season because of woodwind rules.  They are sitting out the DCI season primarily because schools are out for summer, and many of their kids are unavailable.  Secondarily, what few scholastic groups would be interested face the private-club attitude and policies of DCI, which are not welcoming to new corps.

Without increasing participation, there is zero chance of building a more solid foundation under the activity that will generate the type of outside revenue that makes it affordable to do this. Taking just the two SCV orgs off the field this year and adding in Legend takes 400 kids off the field who would have been doing drum corps. No one is replacing them. If a business is dying, you stop and ask "why?" and then 'what can we do to fix it".

Again, I am with you on this part.

But in this case, doing more of the same, as so many in this thread seem to be demanding, is a guaranteed fail. The activity needs more participation in order to survive. Now you can hope more people show up, or you can look at the tools you have accessible, and try to use those tools to your best advantage to affect that change.

No one is suggesting we keep doing the same thing and hope for different results (except when we suggest cutting costs).  But none of this matters if DCI does not restructure to both accept and pursue growth.  Right now, if 100 Bill Cooks started 100 corps, DCI would just throw 100 more obstacles in their path.

The change you want is not woodwinds.  It is opening up the private club to new members.

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well lets be honest...look at where the OC shows are. how are you going to draw huge crowds to the NWPA show? there's more elk there than people. Erie is the closest city, and that's #### near close to 2 hours away. the majority of the population of PA is 4 or more hours away. Same for many other places OC shows are run

Which show is this? Johnsonburg?? Very little about shows at DCI site except big shows for the big corps. 🙄

Edited by JimF-LowBari

14 hours ago, MikeD said:

Marching bands compete in the fall, as that is football season for schools. I just do not see that there would be much interest in summer competitions, though based on the first paragraph you may find some. For most band directors I have known since the early 70's, marching band is the tail, and concert band the dog...and most want the tail to be as small as possible. 

"If I asked people what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse" - Henry Ford (apocryphal)

But thanks for the clarification that football is played in fall - I had no idea that was the case. 😂 We should probably revise the drum corps schedule, since there are no football games in summer.  or we could ignore that, as we have, since band on grass can be done any time of the year.

Edited by Slingerland

52 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It was terrible.  I can’t believe anyone gave that place the thumbs up considering the age demographic of the DCA audience.  

Was just thinking the attendance at DCA took a nose dive after Willies Port from what I read. 
cause and effect? IOW did DCA pick a cheaper place to go to and it backfired big time

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Were there no cheap places with stair rails?  😂 

See I can take this more on topic of survival:

DCI looking towards getting younger fans, especially potential marchers.

DCA content with older (and getting older) fans (at least where I would sit) at championships. And like I said I haven’t physically been at DCA for 10 years. Know what direction my body has gone over the last 10 years. 🤮

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1