How Does the Activity Expect to Survive.

Regarding the Kyoto kids: They come in running like Bloo and they play "Sing,Sing,Sing" like Cadets(minus the screachers)...and through it all these kids SWING!..Brava!!

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

free is good

Ya get what ya pay for… 🥵

• Like 2

On 1/23/2023 at 1:05 PM, Keith Hall said:

I couldn't see Summer Marching Band. That would mean school districts would have to pay band directors more money to teach in the summer. No chance for a break until December. What band director would do that?

I agree that summer band is unlikely, but my guess is it would work like summer school. Band directors would work the negotiated calendar for all teachers. Summer band would be a summer session. The problem is pay for summer school is often low. You’re paid by the hour but not paid for prep time. When I taught, I taught summer school once. I hated it. The other summers I worked at an enrichment program in the morning that became a summer camp in the afternoon. The pay was not great, but the kids wanted to be there which made a difference. Fringe benefit: when corps came to Boston, one of the nearby fields was used for practice.

9 hours ago, Tim K said:

I agree that summer band is unlikely, but my guess is it would work like summer school. Band directors would work the negotiated calendar for all teachers. Summer band would be a summer session. The problem is pay for summer school is often low. You’re paid by the hour but not paid for prep time. When I taught, I taught summer school once. I hated it. The other summers I worked at an enrichment program in the morning that became a summer camp in the afternoon. The pay was not great, but the kids wanted to be there which made a difference. Fringe benefit: when corps came to Boston, one of the nearby fields was used for practice.

another problem is often in the summer, schools shut down all but the offices...no AC, etc. saves $$$

46 minutes ago, Keith Hall said:

Ahhhh Sheffield! Used to have the competition on the field along the road in front of the carnival. 

back in my (our?) day that was an afternoon show - no lights at that field.  and I recall one year it rained buckets, "the show must go on". 

both shoes lost in the mud on the 30 yard line.

Great show, always very well attended even in the middle of nowhere.

25 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

back in my (our?) day that was an afternoon show - no lights at that field.  and I recall one year it rained buckets, "the show must go on". 

both shoes lost in the mud on the 30 yard line.

Great show, always very well attended even in the middle of nowhere.

Might have been there 1977 but we were told it was Bradford and was a night show. Leaving the field was like an adventure as dark as hades. The carnival Keith mentions is familiar and was well attended. If the one I’m thinking of it was an RCA show and first show we won in years. But.. been a few decades…

During the winter Bradford was mentioned a lot on the weather report… always seemed to be the coldest spot in PA.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Sheffield...... I remember we were always given a Clubhouse that looked like a house. You had to go across a foot bridge to get there. I think there was a fire there in the 80's. I do remember going there in mid 80's with Rochester Patriots. The parade was on Route 666 which was scary!