How Does the Activity Expect to Survive.

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

When's the last time any of y'all went to a dance concert lol? I

Do wet t-shirt contests count? 

3 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Only if I'm incredibly liberal with defining concert dance. But there are plenty of artists that perform nude and blur the lines of sexuality if that's your thing. Probably need to go to a major city for that. Even those cats are probably struggling though.

Joking aside, I've worn incredibly revealing costumes in drum corps. I don't recommend it as a viable "adaption" to help the activity survive.

100% with you on the revealing costumes thing. Some of these things (I'm looking at you 2015 Crown) have even me gasping. 

Elon Musk has reported that he's donated 12 million shares of Tesla to charity, including $1.9 billion worth last year.

5% of that would be $95 million, and a "trust fund" for DCI for decades.

This is the kind of thing that DCI needs to start looking for.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 6:36 AM, scheherazadesghost said:

When's the last time any of y'all went to a dance concert lol? It has a legacy that predates drum corps.

Last week, actually: The San Francisco Ballet premiered 3 new works, and I wasn't the only "drum corps" person in attendance.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TOC said:

Does watching the 2005 BD count? 

Yowza you went there

Make everything smaller and move everything inside.  So, make it WGI with a handful of mic'd brass and probably woodwinds and strings. Everything that's happened in the past 15 years in terms of scoring and design has led towards it, and struggling with finances is a big catalyst to make it happen. 

It's not a matter of if but when, IMO. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lance said:

Make everything smaller and move everything inside.  So, make it WGI with a handful of mic'd brass and probably woodwinds and strings. Everything that's happened in the past 15 years in terms of scoring and design has led towards it, and struggling with finances is a big catalyst to make it happen. 

It's not a matter of if but when, IMO. 

If this is the case, they'll have to call it something else.  Drum corps will be dead the moment it leaves the football field.  I know I sound overly dramatic, but football is played on a football field, even if it's 60 yards long and indoors.  Basketball is played on a court, even if it's a run at Rucker Park.  Soccer is played... well, anywhere there's a ball and something serving as a goal.  Drum corps is performed (I hesitate to say "marched" these days) on a parade field or football field, be it NFL, NCAA or high school.

• Haha 1