How Does the Activity Expect to Survive.

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

True, but there are quite a few HS band programs out there; even a small percentage participating could lead to several dozen units.

This. You don't need 300 bands to get involved, you'd need 30 or 40, spread across different regions, enough to provide additional contests to help the current OC groups have a good array of performance opportunities so that they can do weekend-only drum corps, as in the old days.

11 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

This. You don't need 300 bands to get involved, you'd need 30 or 40, spread across different regions, enough to provide additional contests to help the current OC groups have a good array of performance opportunities so that they can do weekend-only drum corps, as in the old days.

There is nothing stopping scholastic groups from getting involved in DCI right now.

59 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

There is nothing stopping scholastic groups from getting involved in DCI right now.

The instrumentation limitation in Open Class would, I imagine, would make it a non-starter. 
And Sound Sport, no offense to anyone who does it, isn't really what kids of think of when they think of DCI events.

Drop the rules about woodwinds, and make an effort to reach out. It's the only way to find out whether that helps create some new new competitors who are local in membership and could provide a basis for regionally-based shows. Might not work at all, but the only thing you can guarantee about the current approach (no changes) is that it absolutely won't work. 

Edited by Slingerland

51 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Drop the rules about woodwinds, and make an effort to reach out. It's the only way to find out whether that helps create some new new competitors who are local in membership and could provide a basis for regionally-based shows.  

Drop the rules about woodwinds and you'll lose more of the financial supporters through donations and ticket sales.

29 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

The instrumentation limitation in Open Class would, I imagine, would make it a non-starter. 

Why?  Scholastic programs have no issue with creating ensembles that exclude certain instruments.  They do it all the time.

And Sound Sport, no offense to anyone who does it, isn't really what kids of think of when they think of DCI events.

Neither are scholastic marching bands.

SoundSport was supposed to be reaching out to scholastic programs in the fall season, when schools are actually in session... and allowing any instruments.  How is that working out?

Drop the rules about woodwinds, and make an effort to reach out. It's the only way to find out whether that helps create some new new competitors who are local in membership and could provide a basis for regionally-based shows. 

I see.  The only way to find out if an idea will irrevocably destroy what is left of drum corps is by irrevocably trying it.

Might not work at all, but the only thing you can guarantee about the current approach (no changes) is that it absolutely won't work. 

It will not work for a corps with a 7-figure deficit and struggling bingo whose brilliant recovery plan is to start another bingo.  Meanwhile, none of the other member corps are flinching.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Hey, I get it. Just add another category that permits them. They can compete against each other, as would the brass/percussion groups.

When the flute groups go on, you and I can go get a hot dog.

Or bathroom break for us older folks 🤦‍♂️😈😆

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

Hey, I get it. Just add another category that permits them. They can compete against each other, as would the brass/percussion groups.

When the flute groups go on, you and I can go get a hot dog.

And miss the stirring flute trill company front...!?  No way!

🙂

• Haha 1