Just an idea, SCV

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Well, maybe. It’s close to the airport if memory serves. 

Hmmmmm. Sounds like DCI ‘83 Orange Bowl. Not a nice side of Miami.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 12:50 PM, jjeffeory said:

The only problem is that's Texas....

Yaeh, Delaware would be preferrable

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, greenland said:

Yaeh, Delaware would be preferrable

there's a huge sports complex between Dover and the beaches....tons of fields normally tied up with soccer and field hockey. might be enough that every section could have their own drill field

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Have you ever been there?  I thought it was a little sketchy around there.  

I had a chance to stop there a couple times about 10 years ago.  It is directly east of the Milwaukee airport, with a Wisconsin Air National Guard base in between.  Mostly industrial properties in the direct vicinity of the property.  Single family homes & some apartments about a quarter mile up the road.  Honestly not a terrible spot to have the property from a noise standpoint.  I didn't feel that the place or area were all that sketchy.  Some of the industrial properties looked a little distressed, but that wasn't all that concerning in the grand scheme of things.

10 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I prefer to think of it as a site that, in the right hands, has potential.

I felt like there was a lot of untapped potential in the property.  Supposedly the plan all along was to build a multi-purpose facility on the site that would serve as a corps hall, bingo hall, and rehearsal space.  For whatever reason, that never happened... but the corps website still references it:

https://www.pioneer-corps.org/about/pioneerland-history.html

8 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

I had a chance to stop there a couple times about 10 years ago.  It is directly east of the Milwaukee airport, with a Wisconsin Air National Guard base in between.  Mostly industrial properties in the direct vicinity of the property.  Single family homes & some apartments about a quarter mile up the road.  Honestly not a terrible spot to have the property from a noise standpoint.  I didn't feel that the place or area were all that sketchy.  Some of the industrial properties looked a little distressed, but that wasn't all that concerning in the grand scheme of things.

I felt like there was a lot of untapped potential in the property.  Supposedly the plan all along was to build a multi-purpose facility on the site that would serve as a corps hall, bingo hall, and rehearsal space.  For whatever reason, that never happened... but the corps website still references it:

https://www.pioneer-corps.org/about/pioneerland-history.html

oh well, agree to disagree. 

22 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Hmmmmm. Sounds like DCI ‘83 Orange Bowl. Not a nice side of Miami.

Legendary BAC off-field performance prior to prelims there in 83.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 12:44 PM, jjeffeory said:

Ok, what's the recent labor law that was passed in California?

I see wage laws. Is that what is hurting SCV?

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/Garment/New-Labor-Laws-in-California.html

I assume they are talking about BA5, which reclassifies independent contractors as employees in many situations. Last I was aware, staff were all paid as 1099 contractors, with a flat (EMBARRASSINGLY LOW) fee for the entire season. Perhaps BA5 forced them to start paying minimum wage, which if so...good. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 9:34 AM, MarimbaManiac said:

I assume they are talking about BA5, which reclassifies independent contractors as employees in many situations. Last I was aware, staff were all paid as 1099 contractors, with a flat (EMBARRASSINGLY LOW) fee for the entire season. Perhaps BA5 forced them to start paying minimum wage, which if so...good. 

I am not so sure.

In that context, does "wage" take into account that corps pay for feeding, housing and transporting their staff?  Because if not, there is a question over whether a one-size-fits-all law forcing a minimum "wage" in all situations irrespective of other quantifiable benefits is even appropriate or practical.  

Of course, there is a larger issue.  Many have already decried the idea of staff getting rich off the drum corps activity.  Drum corps is more of a hobby, not intended to provide full-time, year-round living wages for people.  In particular, when it comes to design/instructional staff, there has always been a degree of volunteerism exhibited among the people who serve in these roles (sometimes 100% so).  Do we really want a law to remove that option from corps?