Closers

Well, it may not have helped in terms of finals placement. But when The Cavaliers added their new closer in 2008 it helped fuel their efforts in beating the, at the time, undefeated Blue Devils in Allentown. 

Ironically, a still close friend came over to my place to watch drum corps shows on YouTube and talk about judging trends. Basically how each corps was improving and making up our finals predictions. 

I showed him the numbers The Cavaliers numbers in depth compared to the Blue Devils. Cavies were improving, for the most part, more than the Blue Devils each show they performed (not by score, but closing the gap). I predicted Cavies taking BD at Allentown by a small margin... and it happened. Sure Cavies fell to third, but what a wild season 2008 was!!!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Well, it may not have helped in terms of finals placement. But when The Cavaliers added their new closer in 2008 it helped fuel their efforts in beating the, at the time, undefeated Blue Devils in Allentown. 

Ironically, a still close friend came over to my place to watch drum corps shows on YouTube and talk about judging trends. Basically how each corps was improving and making up our finals predictions. 

I showed him the numbers The Cavaliers numbers in depth compared to the Blue Devils. Cavies were improving, for the most part, more than the Blue Devils each show they performed (not by score, but closing the gap). I predicted Cavies taking BD at Allentown by a small margin... and it happened. Sure Cavies fell to third, but what a wild season 2008 was!!!

That's a good one!!!! My wife is Japanese. So the Samurai show that year held a special place in her heart. And that show was bad***!!! 

Yea I am a BD Honk (and now Mandarins honk with my son marching contra there this year)..............but Cavies earned that win over BD in Allentown fair and square. Same with PR finals night. No excuses. 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2023 at 9:33 PM, Quad Aces said:

How about the opposite?  Shows where adding later in the season worked against a particular corps/show?

2015 Cadets (“The Power of 10”) comes to mind.  Things seemed to take a turn for Cadets that year after switching to the black uniforms.  I’m sure there were other design issues with the show, but as was mentioned above, Cadets seemed to be in the conversation that year, up until the switch.  That uniform switch was hyped so much, and then just seemed to fall flat with the judges.

Yes. And one of the clearest examples of judge's preferring design over performance (though I'm not saying BD didn't deserve to win). As for the earlier poster who credited the addition of the underage performer for the BD win in 2015, that one substitution was a very minor increment in BD's success. 

Edited by Sh0uldN0t
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 12:58 PM, Chief Guns said:

We hear it every summer................."Wait until (Insert corps name) adds their closer!" Then the respective corps adds in the closer..........and it does very little to move the needle if any at all. 

It got me thinking, what shows have actually had a closer added late in the season that made the difference in winning a championship or moving up in scores/placement/s?

Only ones that come to mind is Phantom 2008, and maybe BD 2015 when Clara was added?

Any others?

Star 1991 - Cross to Cross added

Cavaliers 2004 - Closer was For Your Eyes Only changed to the ultimate ending....

Blue Devils 2002 - Train Wreak at the beginning of the season tweaked into 2nd place show....

There are tons of 'em.

On 4/5/2023 at 10:21 PM, Chief Guns said:

Didn't BD 2002 scrap and re-write the entire show mid-season?

...and they took that to a 2nd place finish. I really disliked the show.... lol

You gotta hand it to them though...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tony L. said:

Count me in the minority, but I did not love the addition of Clara.  I would have sent everyone home that year without a champion.  Just not my favorite year.  Good shows, but some years only get to good.  Not great.  

I thought that the addition of Clara was very creative. The young girl was amazing, old enough to know what she was doing but young enough to be fascinated. That being said, 2015 was Crown’s title to lose rather than Blue Devils’ to win. They won both prelims and semi’s. I was not in Indy but was able to watch finals on a large screen at a party. The people included alums of 27th, North Star, BAC, and Bridgemen. Some were still instructors for local high school programs and a few judge. This may sound like a drum corps fan’s ultimate Super Bowl party, but beginning with Crossmen and ending with Crown, every flaw was mentioned and every move analyzed. They were not down on every corps by any matter of means, and opinions differed (though my opinions didn’t matter unless I agreed🙂). I thought a lackluster performance by Crown and a strong performance by Blue Delis was the culprit, but Crown’s percussion which was a solid 5th, was blamed by people watching with me and the critiques were very specific. They basically said that if Crown gave half the attention it gave to brass to percussion, it would have been a far different show. Looking at the recaps, you could argue visual scores didn’t help Crown either, but the gap between 1st and 5th in percussion was pretty wide.

• Like 2

Clara tied the show together for me in a big way.  Ink obviously "had a reader" but making the audience the reader didn't quite work all season for me for some reason I couldn't quite place.

Then they had Clara come out of the book and walk around in wonder and I was, "OH!  That's is BRILLIANT"

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

I thought that the addition of Clara was very creative. The young girl was amazing, old enough to know what she was doing but young enough to be fascinated. That being said, 2015 was Crown’s title to lose rather than Blue Devils’ to win. They won both prelims and semi’s. I was not in Indy but was able to watch finals on a large screen at a party. The people included alums of 27th, North Star, BAC, and Bridgemen. Some were still instructors for local high school programs and a few judge. This may sound like a drum corps fan’s ultimate Super Bowl party, but beginning with Crossmen and ending with Crown, every flaw was mentioned and every move analyzed. They were not down on every corps by any matter of means, and opinions differed (though my opinions didn’t matter unless I agreed🙂). I thought a lackluster performance by Crown and a strong performance by Blue Delis was the culprit, but Crown’s percussion which was a solid 5th, was blamed by people watching with me and the critiques were very specific. They basically said that if Crown gave half the attention it gave to brass to percussion, it would have been a far different show. Looking at the recaps, you could argue visual scores didn’t help Crown either, but the gap between 1st and 5th in percussion was pretty wide.

I honestly felt the same way about 2008. Phantom just came out and took it from BD finals night.

PR had a finals run for the ages........BD didn't have their best run.

And just like 2015 where BD won drums and Crown was 5th...........PR won drums while BD was 5th in 08.

BD didn't lock the back door.................Phantom came in and won fair and square no excuses. 

• Like 4

On 4/6/2023 at 4:03 PM, MikeN said:

I was so excited for the black uniforms, but when they finally debuted them, it was pretty obvious from night one that they didn't work as well as the regular ones.  For whatever reason, autumn colors just popped better on the field than the black and neon - the whole corps just looked smaller by comparison.  

It was such a shame too - that show absolutely *cooked* and I thought it was the dark horse to win it all.

Mike

Agree. Cadets certainly didn't lack any talent in the music captions that year. Brass, Percussion and Pit were SMOKING good. Sadly all the additions to the show visually always seemed to pull the effect of the show further away from where they likely wanted the show to go. 

• Like 3