How often is the finals performance the BEST performance of a corps ?

Personally in all the years I marched I felt like we did not have the best performance at finals. 

2022 probably had either quarters or semis as the best run.
21 I want to say semis
19 was semis
18 was probably quarters. (Though in our defense we didn't make finals)

I think finals in 22 was pretty interesting for a lot of reasons

Great question.  From my personal experience and observation I'd estimate up to 1/2 the time Finals is not a corps best performance.  I believe fatigue has a lot to do with it. 

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Was it the Brass and  Visual captions on Saturday night?

Brass, Visual and GE.  '87 was the year they did Swan Lake and Nutcracker and wore all white uniforms.  It was very elegant and very powerful, but something happened Saturday night and it just fell flat.  Because of the low finish in '86 they went on before any of the other top 8 corps on Friday, so they blew away everything the judges had seen up to that point in Semis.  Cavies went on right before Phantom at Finals and practically won Visual, so Phantom just looked worse by comparison.  They fell from 3rd to 6th in GE.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I ask this because I've seen top tier corps, on finals night, produce shows that were arguably better on Thursday or Friday...Can a corps burn itself out just trying to make finals and be emotionally spent on Saturday? How many corps can you name that " Lost it" on Saturday after stellar performances earlier in the week?...peace

Just one thing to add to the previous posts.  In the 1970s, it was far more common to see corps perform better in finals compared to their preliminary shows.  But those preliminary shows took place either in the morning or during the heat of the afternoon, neither of which were conducive to peak performances.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

1984 - Cadets/BD/SCV    WOW!!!!   Any other year all three of these were championship shows.  The legend of West Side Story exists though for a reason.

Our run was definitely better than prelims...but BD is typically good at turning it on Saturday night.

Cadets at the time -- and for years after --  were masters of peaking at the right time.  However, I've had a number of alums from that show tell me they felt their prelims run was the "golden show."  They thought they'd LOST finals, so topping us was a surprise (#### it).

SCV had a good run....but after they almost screwed the pooch at prelims (arrived to the gate late -- at a dead run), that was easy to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Brass, Visual and GE.  '87 was the year they did Swan Lake and Nutcracker and wore all white uniforms.  It was very elegant and very powerful, but something happened Saturday night and it just fell flat.  Because of the low finish in '86 they went on before any of the other top 8 corps on Friday, so they blew away everything the judges had seen up to that point in Semis.  Cavies went on right before Phantom at Finals and practically won Visual, so Phantom just looked worse by comparison.  They fell from 3rd to 6th in GE.

Phantom and Vanguard that year was what got me hooked on drum corps. It was my freshman year during a break from August all day rehearsals that our Band director showed a PBS recording of Garfield and Vanguard.

• Like 1

I have nothing to add except, from a purely “fan” perspective, this has been one of the most interesting threads i have read on these boards. Thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Our run was definitely better than prelims...but BD is typically good at turning it on Saturday night.

Cadets at the time -- and for years after --  were masters of peaking at the right time.  However, I've had a number of alums from that show tell me they felt their prelims run was the "golden show."  They thought they'd LOST finals, so topping us was a surprise (#### it).

SCV had a good run....but after they almost screwed the pooch at prelims (arrived to the gate late -- at a dead run), that was easy to do.

I think it's fitting that La Fiesta was the last true concert in DCI.  That's one of the most electric charts and performances in drum corps history!   :babies:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Just one thing to add to the previous posts.  In the 1970s, it was far more common to see corps perform better in finals compared to their preliminary shows.  But those preliminary shows took place either in the morning or during the heat of the afternoon, neither of which were conducive to peak performances.

Hmmm, not sure I agree with your assessment of that era & prelims vs. finals.  Performing during the day was definitely a factor but staff was not as savvy back then.  They tended to work "us" to death without realizing the correlation between rest and peak performance.  Modern corps have figured that out (e.g. Concord). 

I’ll take it one further … in 1980, the best performance of any corps of the entire season was 27th Lancers at DCI East. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2