WGI Percussion....very impressed and fun..

My Flomarching includes the WGI championships and it was a blast seeing this. Some of the shows are very creative and really impressed on the precisions of the marching drummers. One bass person fell from RCC and man it's not easy to get up fast carrying a bass drum while trying to get up. 

This is the first time I listened to the Avon High School winds...they are a class act and first place was a just reward..I understand that Matt Harloff writes their music  program, so it comes as no surprise that the choice of music and it's execution, was great....Congratulations!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

This is the first time I listened to the Avon High School winds...they are a class act and first place was a just reward..I understand that Matt Harloff writes their music  program, so it comes as no surprise that the choice of music and it's execution, was great....Congratulations!!!

Kevin Shah is the arranger for Avon Winds. Matt Harloff is one of the directors. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

My Flomarching includes the WGI championships and it was a blast seeing this. Some of the shows are very creative and really impressed on the precisions of the marching drummers. One bass person fell from RCC and man it's not easy to get up fast carrying a bass drum while trying to get up. 

She limped after.

the creativity and skills were off the hook across all of the classes

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jameseuph said:

Kevin Shah is the arranger for Avon Winds. Matt Harloff is one of the directors. 

3 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Vince Oliver is the arranger for Avon.

2 hours ago, jameseuph said:

You are correct. I get Vince and Kevin mixed up. 

Okay, I just had a "someone gave me unsweetened tea" reaction to this.  In the 20 plus year run that my high school had a championship marching band, the only people who ever arranged for the band were either an existing director, a current student in advanced music study, or a former student working on his college music degree trying out a new arrangement.  Buying music from a catalog was either "cheating" or "wimping out."  Plus, back in those days, you couldn't get anything above grade 5 or 6 from the catalogs.  We were playing charts straight from DCI or hand-written that were harder than that.

I supposed you can't be a top band anymore without paying a few hundred dollars or more for someone to write music for you and then have to spend $1000 or more on to license.  That money sure could go a long way to pay for other things a band would need.  Did they stop teaching band directors how to arrange their own music in college?

It's not as easy to get away with arranging stuff without paying for it as it was even 10 years ago, either.  People still do it, but no high profile unit in high school or college or anywhere else is going to risk a lawsuit that would come to a lot more than paying a pro to arrange something after getting permission from the publisher.

Edited by Lance

21 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

They were very good but kind of curious why they used area mics. I don’t think a wind group that size on a gym floor really needs to be louder. 

• Thanks 1