What Can/Can’t Be Changed to Help

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

SoundSport teams are not necessarily drum corps.  In fact, they have taken to calling them "teams" in recognition of that detail.

Aside from that one word, I agree with the rest of your quote wholeheartedly.  Problem is that DCI then moved the barrier to open-class impenetrably high, even beyond the reach of this incubator.

My kid marched in Division II for five seasons.  I don’t think he would want to do Soundsport. 

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

🤮 Hope this year I’m able to watch DCI week online. Tried last two years but “stuff” happened. So maybe 7 people and me at home

I’m one of the seven people.  I see all of the corps over three days and I’ll go in for the beginning of the show at the Cincinnati show.  I’m not a hypocrite about this.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I was a Computer Science (now called IT 🙄) major and transferred from a community college to a PA state school.

Computer Science is not “now called IT”.  I say this not to be argumentative but simply to prevent anyone considering school or career choices from being confused.  

IT may have grown out of CS many years ago and so many of its people came from that major, but they are well distinguished now and you can focus on what you are interested in.  

Back to your regularly scheduled thread, which was a great question by the OP.

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Vehicle rental cost is why I proposed limiting convoy size.  And shorter ST / tour length limits time that vehicles are needed as well. From a regional tour standpoint- fewer hours on road can lead to lower CDL-driver costs - you don’t need as many drivers to stay within duty-day limits.  And, so far as I know, it costs less in fuel to drive 3 hrs than to drive 13 hours.  A few $ here & a few more $ there can add up. 

once that truck leaves the rental facility, you're paying for it.  regional/national, its all the same. you need that truck to move all your stuff to a practice facility, where it will sit.  you dont rent the truck for a day, then send it back.  its all one big estimated sum in equipment rental for the summer, wrapped up with drivers and estimated fuel in it.  drivers are not rented hourly. they might be paid hourly, but they come with the rental.  (unless you're crazy enough to try to piece meal equipment and drivers separately... though this is not a good choice as there's no guarantee you'll have a driver when you need one)  The way to bring these costs down is to simply not have to move anything on a semi until as absolutely late as possible.  

33 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m one of the seven people.  I see all of the corps over three days and I’ll go in for the beginning of the show at the Cincinnati show.  I’m not a hypocrite about this.  

I haven't been to Indy, ever, but were I to go I would be there for every corps.  Even with being much older than BITD for all-day prelims, my mindset is "I'm going to a drum corps show...to see the show"

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

once that truck leaves the rental facility, you're paying for it.  regional/national, its all the same. you need that truck to move all your stuff to a practice facility, where it will sit.  you dont rent the truck for a day, then send it back.  its all one big estimated sum in equipment rental for the summer, wrapped up with drivers and estimated fuel in it.  drivers are not rented hourly. they might be paid hourly, but they come with the rental.  (unless you're crazy enough to try to piece meal equipment and drivers separately... though this is not a good choice as there's no guarantee you'll have a driver when you need one)  The way to bring these costs down is to simply not have to move anything on a semi until as absolutely late as possible.  

Starting tour later (because it is shorter), plus less fuel & smaller convoy = lower cost.  

58 minutes ago, gak27 said:

I haven't been to Indy, ever, but were I to go I would be there for every corps.  Even with being much older than BITD for all-day prelims, my mindset is "I'm going to a drum corps show...to see the show"

I honestly am too #### old to sit there nonstop but I do make a point of going in early Thursday. And I plan out how I can see everyone. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I honestly am too #### old to sit there nonstop but I do make a point of going in early Thursday. And I plan out how I can see everyone. 

Yep when we did DCA weekend we’d start with first corps of the day. Then leave midway through the big corps as knew we’d see them at Finals. Plus getting up early for Alumni’s Sunday am was 🥵

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Lol my wife said with how much money we are paying for finals week tickets, you best believe we are seeing every corps all three days. She said for these ticket prices the corps should be serenading all of us at the hotels too lol. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Computer Science is not “now called IT”.  I say this not to be argumentative but simply to prevent anyone considering school or career choices from being confused.  

IT may have grown out of CS many years ago and so many of its people came from that major, but they are well distinguished now and you can focus on what you are interested in.  

Back to your regularly scheduled thread, which was a great question by the OP.

Thanks for the update. Just checked my Alma mater and yes IT and CS have separate headings listed. Appears when the college got grants for information security major they separated the two. Or at least learned to be more precise in wording.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1