Air Quality Issues for DCI First Show and Beyond

It’s so weird. Who would think a show in the Midwest would be canceled because of smoke from forest fires. This just might not be the first this year. These fires will go on until winter. What’s next.,. The Stanford show canceled because of severe thunderstorms….in CA? 

9 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

A delayed start would be best, and I also am hoping for temps that’ll be lower than some of the insane highs of last year’s summer, some 108’s, 110’s, not even factoring in the heat index, just as is. It wasn’t even just Texas shows but some southwest shows, the Kansas and Oklahoma shows, it was a brutal summer in many places!

I wouldn't count on it. It's currently 102 here in Dallas. Though the temperature may not even matter if the rolling blackouts continue. Just minutes before I typed this response, the power in my office blinked. 😶

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

According to several websites I have checked, the AQI (Air Quality Index) currently ranks Detroit as having the 4th worst air quality in the world RIGHT NOW. Chicago is currently number 2 and Minneapolis is 5. Three of the top 5 worst AQI scores WORLDWIDE are currently all in the upper  Midwest. I mean we are talking air quality only marginally better than Delhi India.

If DCI GENUINELY stands for the safety of the performers and audiences first and foremost, there is NO WAY that this show can be allowed to continue. ANY other call would be reckless and irresponsible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Can this activity catch a break, please. First COVID-19 and its aftershocks as recently as last summer, now smoke imported from Canada, and later, the killer Texas heat. 

To the gods of externalities: The kids just want to play. Please let them.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

Northern Nevada (Reno) has had a number of consecutive years where the smoke from CA wildfires would get sucked in to the valley and park here for a while. Locals are starting to call it "smoke season." We have been lucky so far, but truthfully, it typically occurs in July-September.

In 2021 or 2022 (possibly both), the Mandarins chose to schedule a week of training in the Reno area, I suspect to try to avoid the Sacramento heat, only to get here and have to deal with dense smoke for the week.  AQI numbers in the 200-350 range if I recall.  That did not stop them from doing the full week of outdoor rehearsals and a community performance. Maybe they saw it as rigorous conditioning.

Ironically, the University of Nevada football team (which has no indoor practice facilities) chose to skip their preseason training locally and move their preseason activities to the CA coast, at Stanford. That was not a cheap week for them.

I pray this isn't the summer of a ton of cancelations but the fact is we have seen a lot of crazy stuff. Wildfire smoke from the Canadian forest fires (and they do not seem to be going away). A crazy amount of tornadoes in the South and Plains states. Super hot temps in the South and Texas (and elsewhere), and massive amounts of rain at times.  Certainly a mix of climate change potentially and also perhaps just one of those summers. Maybe things will calm down but the weather patterns have been crazy. 

57 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Cavaliers just pulled out of tonight

The Cavaliers will not appear tonight in Rockford, Michigan. The Air Quality Index (AQI) where the corps is being housed for rehearsal has remained in the “Very Unhealthy” range, exceeding both NCAA and DCI protocol for safe outdoor activity to occur for the last several days. Through consultation with local officials, we have continued to follow all rehearsal guidelines established by DCI while monitoring any changes in air quality on an hourly basis.

What exact are DCI Protocol for safe outdoor activity and why doesn't this apply to everyone? What are "rehearsal guidelines?" The show would be canceled if these protocols are officially being monitored and followed and it officially exceeded them.

Maybe its just me but everyone should perform or no one should perform.

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

It’s so weird. Who would think a show in the Midwest would be canceled because of smoke from forest fires. This just might not be the first this year. These fires will go on until winter. What’s next.,. The Stanford show canceled because of severe thunderstorms….in CA? 

It appears that the show tonight is still on (but Cavaliers pulled out).

Edited by Quad Aces