Your Favorite 2023 Shows

Phantom, Mandarins, and Boston.  When BD gets the 2nd half of the show up to where the opener is, they'll be there, too. 

There isn't a single corps that I haven't really loved, though.  Excited for this year. 

BD (surprise!), Mandarins. Phantom

• Like 1

Troopers

Carolina Crown

BDB

Phantom sounds awesome, Bluecoats have an amazing ballad and once the  closer is tuned it will probably be one of my favorites. Boston and Cadets looked cool but I was doing something else while I had them on my phone- so the jury is still out.

Looking forward to hearing from MCDC, BK, Crossmen, Madison, SOA.

• Like 1

Still a few corps to see. I'm particularly interested in what Spirit of Atlanta and Music City have on tap because I've loved their shows in the past. But for now...there's a LOT to like this season.

Ballads:

Troopers and Carolina Crown.  There's a number of honorable mentions I'll enjoy, but these two stand out for entirely opposite reasons.  Troopers is one of those emotional tug/lush ballads that follows some legit intensity and thus resolves and transforms the show.  Crown is a technical beast and uses silence in ways I haven't heard since Blue Devils did La Strada and sucked the air out of your lungs with the silence between the exposed entries and releases of those hits at the end.   

Musical Energy:

Phantom Regiment and Mandarins.  Both of these corps have an energy and full soundtrack feel to their shows.  The transitions are seamless and make sense in ways that just build and release and build through the show.  They're quite a ride.

Visual things:

Bluecoats, Blue Stars, and Blue Devils.  The Garden of Love is an effective and signature Bloo vehicle.  Blue Devils are masters of movement and now exploring color like never before.  Even with the props not fully realized (I believe there's a lot more they'll be doing with them) they add to a fresh and vibrant look for the Devils.  Someone somewhere recently said "The Bluecoats and Blue Devils are learning from each other" and there's a lot of truthiness to that.  Blue Stars have taken another departure. I love how they switch up their visual look while retaining the excellence of their Brass sonority and the challenge of their guard book. 

Thematic arcs/stories: 

Boston Crusaders and Carolina Crown.  I'm a sucker for a good story on the field.  The guards for these two corps are working overtime already to sell these shows and it's making really strong impacts already even though we're early in.  The music is also selling the themes as well as visual flourishes.

Props:

Phantom Regiment and Mandarins here again.  Phantom has figured out props that do interesting things and how to use them to do stuff like the opening 'hatching', making stages, accenting that echos the headgear, etc.  Mandarins have a great approach with the 'walls of tinker toys' again.  The deal where they're spinning and the corps are doing weaving passthroughs is breathtaking.  Honorable mention to the Troopers sun thing and Madisons ball for being "things I want to have in miniature versions" this season.  

Drill:

Cavaliers, Cadets, and Blue Stars:  Still getting a read on drill moves I like but Cavies have ALL the classics!  And Cadets are doing things with forms all over the place. Blue Stars are using the whole field again and playing across the field in ways other corps often don't dare.

• Like 4

So far, loving BC, Crown, Mandarins, Troopers.

• Like 2

I am so excited about this season! There are things I am enjoying just in about every show. This will be a season to remember! Here are the shows that are connecting the most with me so far:

Mandarins

Crown

Blue Devils 

Troopers 

Cavaliers 

• Like 3