Which corps seems to be benefitting the most from SCV’s departure?

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

As someone said earlier nobody really benefits from not having Santa Clara on the field this summer. Certainly not the fans. In terms of placement then anyone below the top 4 benefits in a small way because they can perhaps achieve a placement 1 notch up from last year (or maybe more). Someone noted the corps fighting for the 12th, 13th, 14th places benefit because someone may make Finals that would not have if SCV marched. 

But in the end we are talking about a LEGENDARY drum corps that is missing. I fail to see any upside to that. It's just another sign that finances are critical and funding this activity is becoming more difficult by the day. 

In this case though, it appears SCV did have funding, but completely mismanaged it.  You are correct it is critical and difficult to fund an org, but more critical to manage it well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Sitting out would be taking quite a chance not know with any certainty, SCV will be back in 24, or that the Rennicks would be back with them.  A more sensible approach might have been to go somewhere to get a seasons more experience in, and be even better prepared to return to SCV, if that happens for SCV, more than sitting out a season would do.

Meh, they were young last season as far as I know. Seasons are tough on young bodies. If you've made SCV's line and have a few years left, one season isn't gonna break you and may actually save you from the worst of injuries. Further, if you've connected with a caption head that takes good care of you and don't want to risk getting to know another one who may not be as good, more power to you.

And this is all just word on the street. I could be wrong.

19 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

In this case though, it appears SCV did have funding, but completely mismanaged it.  You are correct it is critical and difficult to fund an org, but more critical to manage it well.

Bingo. And those who mismanaged are still large and in-charge. All I'll say about it in this thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Squee! I want this so bad for Mandies. 🤪

I kinda want them to win it all one year....that would make them the ONLY corps to win Div III, Div II, and World

• Like 6

My understanding is that a half dozen or so SCV ‘23 brass went to Crown this year; I’m helping sponsor one of them who also marched SCV 2022.

On the influx of SCVC vets into Mandarins, I wonder how many were cut during A-corps ‘23 auditions before the SHTF. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TRacer said:

My understanding is that a half dozen or so SCV ‘23 brass went to Crown this year; I’m helping sponsor one of them who also marched SCV 2022.

On the influx of SCVC vets into Mandarins, I wonder how many were cut during A-corps ‘23 auditions before the SHTF. 

Mandarins has long been more welcoming to SCVC vets than SCV has been, especially in percussion. 

On 7/4/2023 at 2:25 PM, scheherazadesghost said:

Word on the street is they scattered fairly evenly, with only small clumps going to specific corps together. Heard that much of the drumline is sitting this season out, waiting for a return in 24 so they can stick with the Rennicks.

That's the impression I got from the data alumni collected that I've seen as well. The bigger question is how many of those kids with more years stay with their new corps or go back. 

44 minutes ago, Reggi93 said:

That's the impression I got from the data alumni collected that I've seen as well. The bigger question is how many of those kids with more years stay with their new corps or go back. 

I mean, that's the big question, and it really comes down to what SCV is able to pull off for 2024. My guess, is that even if financially they are out of the hole, they won't be able to pull together enough operational success and general good will from alumni and staff to successfully execute a season next year. IF they field a corps, I expect it to be a bit of a #### show. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I mean, that's the big question, and it really comes down to what SCV is able to pull off for 2024. My guess, is that even if financially they are out of the hole, they won't be able to pull together enough operational success and general good will from alumni and staff to successfully execute a season next year. IF they field a corps, I expect it to be a bit of a #### show. 

I don't have quite as dire of an outlook for them.  I've heard rumors they were planning on fielding next year but have heard nothing concrete after that. IF they can operationally get out of the hole and tie up their lose ends with the state, then I wish them the best of luck.  I don't think even if everything aligns perfectly that they can just jump back into 3rd place.  They'll definitely have some rebuilding to do talent and staff wise.