Corn on DeKalb

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So BD will be in 81.75 - 82.3 range tonight.  
I wonder if it works the other way - if BD performs earlier than BAC, do they subtract ~0.5 from BD score & that is BAC score?  😎

82.5, and Mandarins high 76s. We're all really getting this slotting thing down.

5 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Visual proficiency scores raise my eyebrows. 

Yeah, not sure I’ve ever seen a corps be 8th in content then 3rd in achievement. Certainly interesting whatever Moss was doing tonight

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So BD will be in 81.75 - 82.3 range tonight.  
I wonder if it works the other way - if BD performs earlier than BAC, do they subtract ~0.5 from BD score & that is BAC score?  😎

If memory serves, BD’s scores were trending slightly lower than Crown’s early on last season but when they met head to head BD came out on top by a point. Maybe BD will score in that range tonight, maybe they won’t. Either way, I’d take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, crownisking said:

If memory serves, BD’s scores were trending slightly lower than Crown’s early on last season but when they met head to head BD came out on top by a point. Maybe BD will score in that range tonight, maybe they won’t. Either way, I’d take it with a grain of salt.

There is only one time that it really matters.  

• Like 1

Just now, corps8294 said:

I know this is the first year for the new percussion staff at The Blue Stars; but yeeeeesh! That caption is definitely their achilles heel and has been for a number of years, now. 

I have faith in the new staff.   Lots of top tier talent in there, as the kids say, let ‘em cook.  I like the book a lot more too.   

Last year drums started out ROUGH in the recaps too.  Last on opening night and got pretty hammered by Colts, Crossmen, Madison Scouts, etc. in the first few weeks.   8th/9th/8th by finals.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldbandguy said:

Jeff Brooks (percussion) calls it as he hears it that night!!!  Bravo

his tapes are awesome

• Like 1

Mrs. TenHut and I enjoyed the DeKalb show tonight. We LOVED the Cavies traditional unis and music, loved Phantom and Troopers too. 

Boston is very good, but the unis, no. Loved the first half of show. 2nd half lost me a bit. Drum line is great, but good Lord it seemed like half the show is drum solos. I thought PR would be much closer to Boston than 3 points.

Cavies show and unis are a very welcome change from the sequened costumes of everyone else. Cavies were our favorites tonight by a mile. Just great. Loved Troopers and PRs unis too.

Crowd faves were Cavies, PR and Troopers.

My Wife said the Colts unis look like NASCAR drivers.

I enjoyed Madisons show more in person, but this isn't close to a finals show or corps. I miss the swagger and aura of the Madison Scouts. It's gone. 

It's great to see Boston, PR, Troopers and Genesis playing Pearl drums. I have always loved their tenor and bass sound more than Yamaha.

Sat side 2 low, in the blast zone for Regiment (and Cavies)...

Genesis: I like Firebird. They put out a big sound. Design might have been ok if they were Open class.

Scouts: horn line energy and volume is a positive. Visual design lacks.

Crossmen: that is not a top 12 design, musically or visually. I don't get the props, and I don't get the constant musical references to Long and Winding Road.

Troopers: very big sound and nice percussion. Finalist show, for sure. Visual is starting to clean up. The show is almost too intense, start to finish. As others have said, things need to be worked out w the rope. I also thought that turning the prop off at points in the show would be good, but my family suggested that keeping it moving made sense, since you see it at different angles as it moves across the day. As mentioned, the prop remained on when the show ended,  unlike previously.

Colts: the variety in brass dynamics (after the intensity and volume from Troop) stood out. And a very different mood from Troop, too. They seem pretty balanced across the sections, from a design and execution standpoint. Bummed that they didn't hold up the Rockford sign during Classical Gas like they did at Lisle (I thought it was clever).

Cavies: family agreed that the chop and bop music arrangements make it hard to get into the show. Percussion is their strong suit. I realized that their current marching technique not matching the champion years is a little bit of a disconnect (probably just an issue for me). Realized the 4 cornered soloists are a 4 Corners reference. Low brass was loud a lot, maybe too loud sometimes. 

Blue Stars: pretty good across the board. Transitions to the green done pretty seamlessly. Interesting theme, but I prefer less on the props side.

BAC: very good overall. Great guard, but more than a few drops (yes, the wind picked up during Stars, but not terrible). I feel like there's too many moments without flags (all weapons and or dancing). The ending didnt have a big impact. Assuming that'll change. A diminutive guard member representing the white whale doesn't cut it. And it wasn't clear visually how we got to the dead guy on the raft.

Regiment: continuing to improve. LOUD. A few minor timing issues in the brass and some overplaying in the low brass. The tarps are fine as a frame. The musical pause when they hit the company front is nice (maybe an opportunity for a SUTA! from the crowd?).

Enjoyable overall, glad we lucked out w the weather. 

Edited by billj
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3