DCI Tupelo - Tupelo, MS - July 13

Cavaliers have a fantastic drum line this year. They popped a 16.9 in perc last night against a darn good Cadets percussion section so they have that going for them. But they lost by .7 in brass and also lost in Music Analysis which brings up one of their issues which is the music book needs shaped and polished. That could still happen but it's not just about cleaning. They have to make some changes. They are offering a lot of material and ultimately some of it may not be needed. Same with visual analysis. Having said that they have a another week and a half to make some changes before they need to concentrate on cleaning. A lot is still possible for for the Cavies. They most important thing here is does the staff have a plan and will it be effective enough. I like the show. I liked it early on. It just has too much "stuff." 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

It's a rehash show. IMO that is what's wrong. I'm not a fan of hey these things made is popular so here is a show with all those things. There are subtle ways to do it without smacking you in the face. But many people have said the music sounds like many thoughts at once with poor pacing. That's design teams fault not the members. So someone said somewhere a huge rewrite is coming and that may fix it. 

I prefer a first-time ‘get it right’ and then clean vs a ‘huge rewrite’ which has to be taught, learned and then cleaned (note the two additional steps).  With all the high-powered design staff, why can’t they design it right the first time?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I prefer a first-time ‘get it right’ and then clean vs a ‘huge rewrite’ which has to be taught, learned and then cleaned (note the two additional steps).  With all the high-powered design staff, why can’t they design it right the first time?

Exactly, and I don't think this is a function of it being a re-hash show, just a poorly conceived re-hash show.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Phantom56 said:

Cavies are looking at a possible 9th place finish. When is the last time they placed that low? 

Last season. 

• Haha 6

24 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Some times it just doesn't work even when it sounds like it will. I rewrote the end of show 4 weekends in a row when the judges kept telling it didn't work but by finals they got it. 

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

It's a rehash show. IMO that is what's wrong. I'm not a fan of hey these things made is popular so here is a show with all those things. There are subtle ways to do it without smacking you in the face. But many people have said the music sounds like many thoughts at once with poor pacing. That's design teams fault not the members. So someone said somewhere a huge rewrite is coming and that may fix it. 

The last time they did an anniversary show (98?) it wasn't a rehash and was good. It managed to salute the history without directly recreating any of it in a lesser copy. Actually pretty surprised they decided to go so backwards-looking on this one. With the struggles coming out of last season, it seemed a bit of a risky strategy. Hopefully they can refine it some more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Two obvious to me areas for rewrites: totally remove Somewhere, and reduce the multiple overlaying musical ideas. Sure, it's clever that they switch musical gears and overlay multiple songs from their history, but ... Why? And how does it enhance their theme? And I don't really sense an actual theme ("stuff from our history" isn't a theme), so that may limit things on the GE side. 

21 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

The last time they did an anniversary show (98?) it wasn't a rehash and was good. It managed to salute the history without directly recreating any of it in a lesser copy. Actually pretty surprised they decided to go so backwards-looking on this one. With the struggles coming out of last season, it seemed a bit of a risky strategy. Hopefully they can refine it some more. 

Well isn't most of the history stuff from after 98 now and when they won titles?