Bluecoats, BD, and SA (TW: Sexual Assault)

25 minutes ago, resipsaloquitur said:

With all due respect to the accuser, and with all sympathies to all the victims out there, if I were the parent or grandparent of either the accused or the accuser, I would be devastated. That is why it is important not to settle this in the court of public opinion or use words that suggested the facts are black and white and have already been established as that. Nothing is factual until this is fully reported, investigated, and action to clear up, to rectify, or to punish, has been taken. Having been at the other end of (false) accusations, I understand how quickly this can get out of control on social media for both the accuser and the accused.

i agree that vague posts online exposing potential abusers is a morally ambiguous venture, and opens the flood gates to potentially damaging public discourse, but i also understand that in some situations it is important to speak out publicly about those experiences. the justice system is notoriously terrible at handling SA and things in that same ballpark. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Among the things that make me uncomfortable about this discussion is that none of us know the truth about what happened - between the two individuals, what the corps did or didn't do. We just don't know. 

Not trying to muzzle anyone in particular. This is 2023, and the facts aren't a prerequisite for discussion I know. 

Edited by Sh0uldN0t
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If you recall, one of the SoA members who was running Rookie Talent Night that led to the formal allegations had been contracted w/ BD for 2022 & BD pulled the contract. So BD may well have this in hand.   That doesn’t excuse BC.  

Also, w SoA the parents of the assaulted member had hired lawyers; that could have nudged the situation in the correct direction. 

He’s marching Crown this year. 

• Sad 4

15 minutes ago, Ashontheinternet said:

i agree that vague posts online exposing potential abusers is a morally ambiguous venture, and opens the flood gates to potentially damaging public discourse, but i also understand that in some situations it is important to speak out publicly about those experiences. the justice system is notoriously terrible at handling SA and things in that same ballpark. 

It's even worse if the justice system is never used.  Just saying...

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 3

It's obviously more comfortable, but hotel rooms may not be the best idea when trying to manage over 150 young people.  It won't eliminate the possibility but it has to cut down on the chances of occurrence.  We all survived sleeping on gym floors in sleeping bags - even during Finals. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It's obviously more comfortable, but hotel rooms may not be the best idea when trying to manage over 150 young people.  It won't eliminate the possibility but it has to cut down on the chances of occurrence.  We all survived sleeping on gym floors in sleeping bags - even during Finals. 

Finding gym floors in the area that time of year is one of the other problems. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

An allegation is just that, an allegation. 

Edited by resipsaloquitur
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I think that's the problem. Schools in Indy are back in session by the time Finals comes thru. So not many schools can host. 

• Like 2