Brass Ensemble Amplification

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Although I hope it doesn’t, I suspect someday a Corps will have 16 brass, all in pit & amped, along with a small (2 snare, 2 tenor, 5 bass) amplified battery.  And about 110 guard on field.  

You're forgetting that the front ensemble will expand to about 50 marimbas.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Although I hope it doesn’t, I suspect someday a Corps will have 16 brass, all in pit & amped, along with a small (2 snare, 2 tenor, 5 bass) amplified battery.  And about 110 guard on field.  

And DCI will be renamed to SGI

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, skevinp said:

And DCI will be renamed to SGI

Will there me meditative chanting?  

35 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

You're forgetting that the front ensemble will expand to about 50 marimbas.

Needs more amplified cowbell!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DAvery said:

This came up in another thread on the Austin show and I was thinking maybe it deserves a thread of it's own. It appears several brass lines either use sideline mics to amplify the entire brass ensemble or are mic-ing specific players in the brass ensemble to attain a better overall brass sound. Someone even said the entire Phantom tuba section was mic-ed. I don't know if that it true. I know BOA passed a rule limiting this practice, but DCI did not pass the proposal to limit the use of microphones in these situations.  Amplification was initially justified to enable the front ensemble players to play with proper technique. Now we have progressed to this. It seams a little like cheating, to me. It would seem to me the judges should award a higher score to a unamplified brass ensemble that performs at the same level as an amplified brass ensemble. Thoughts? 

i am very mixed on microphones, i think field boom mics can be useful for spreading the sound out at just thickening out the sound, and amplifying solos/solis, but when you mic a bunch of members for a bigger sound, i dont like that. it puts too much pressure on those individuals to play perfect, because they will be boosted, whereas the rest of the corps is covered by their sound.

3 hours ago, Lance said:

Hidden?  No.  They don't have to hide anything since it will never be taken into account with judging.  It's pretty blatant at this point lol.  

Did you know the entire tuba section of PR is mic'ed?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ediker said:

Electricity is cheaper than chrome

But probably not cheaper than 12-16 wireless mics with the sound system to hear them. It's just the easy way, which should not be rewarded. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lance said:

I agree that's it's more prevalent, and like I said, expect that to increase.  It has since a/e passed.  You should have seen it on here when soloists first started getting mic'd.  Then pretty much every small ensemble.  And then somebody noticed that entire mello sections sound even better sustaining when they're strategically placed in front of mics, so that trend has grown and grown to where the biggest full ensemble music impact moments are wholly dependent on strategic mic placement. 

Hidden?  No.  They don't have to hide anything since it will never be taken into account with judging.  It's pretty blatant at this point lol.  

I don't think most people in the crowd care.  I hate it but I've gotten used to it, too.  Just part of what DCI has become.  Just gotta roll with it.  

Sitting in the stands, It is very obvious when all the sound is coming from the right side 30 yard line but most of the brass players are on the opposite side of the 50.

If you are using field amplification then learn to balance the volume and the speakers! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

IMO soloist is the only thing that should get a mic. It's so easy to mic your best players and mix that over the others to judges in the stands

A DCI soloist does not need a microphone to be properly heard throughout a stadium. 

• Like 1