Battle At The Alamo(dome) - July 22,2023

7 hours ago, skevinp said:

There are lots of versions of the story.  In this case I assume he is wounded but recovers.  Perhaps his dedication to his people overcomes all wounds, both emotional and physical. 

Or not.  I don't know.  Tis a silly place.

He was saved off the field by the lady of the lake. She asked Lancelot who likes to dance a lot for help. Might have been something about Finland, black knights and needing certain groups to be successful on Broadway. 

(props to those who know the show I’m referencing)

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

The Mandarins are just SOOOOOO GOOD! Attitude, great music, fantastic guard. The show just keeps moving and flowing. The color scheme is in your face and effective. And @ChiefGuns those tubas are amazing! Your son and the others are having a blast and performing like a top 6 corps should. 

Thanks brother! Mandarins did a great job last night!

To be able to stand there and trade punches with the Cadets and Phantom Regiment speaks volumes. 

I think we can OFFICIALLY say the Mandarins have arrived. 

• Like 6

Incidentally,  neither Blue Stars nor Cavaliers are that far off from 5th. 2 points is within competitive groups historically.  Same for Troopers and Colts. They could nip 8th and 9th.

That spread comes and goes all the time.

Ok, some thoughts from last night in person:

1. BD is in another league on the visual side of things. That alone should keep them in front for the year. Both sides now was the only thing that made me teary-eyed all day. It is such a treat to experience.

2. Boston not winning guard yesterday was a real head scratcher. The work that they did was phenomenal and personally I saw less error in their technique than I did the Bluecoats. The GE of the ending has been addressed and I really didn’t think a tarp could impact a show so much, but it did.

3. Bluecoats show is so aesthetically pleasing. There was so much beauty to be found from a compositional standpoint. Lots of repertoire variety to keep the audience intrigued. The trombone feature after the ballad was so awesome. Very loud too. The dynamic contrast they play with is so nuanced. Really loved the overall program.

4. Crown is extremely musical, but the visual does not back it up very well. The guard is superb. Best they’ve been in years.

5. Phantom and Mandarins are so different, but both were very enjoyable productions. Mandarins ballad live is so special. They just play with such passion.

6. Troopers were a step up from last time I saw the show 2 weeks ago. Guard is getting better and they have a wonderful sound. Got chills during the harmonica solo. 
7. Pacific Crest has a clear enough storyline to take them to finals night, but they need to enhance their performance expression to stay ahead of the Blue Knights.

Other favorites would have to be the Colts and Spirit. Both shows were very entertaining. Colts have a show that just makes you happy. Overall it was a great day of performances, and I really think that this year in particular is one where the shows (while mostly pretty safe) are consistently enjoyable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Incidentally,  neither Blue Stars nor Cavaliers are that far off from 5th. 2 points is within competitive groups historically.  Same for Troopers and Colts. They could nip 8th and 9th.

That spread comes and goes all the time.

In the 2020s, the troopers have exceeded expectations. This year I could see them gunning for top ten

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Ok, some thoughts from last night in person:

1. BD is in another league on the visual side of things. That alone should keep them in front for the year. Both sides now was the only thing that made me teary-eyed all day. It is such a treat to experience.

2. Boston not winning guard yesterday was a real head scratcher. The work that they did was phenomenal and personally I saw less error in their technique than I did the Bluecoats. The GE of the ending has been addressed and I really didn’t think a tarp could impact a show so much, but it did.

3. Bluecoats show is so aesthetically pleasing. There was so much beauty to be found from a compositional standpoint. Lots of repertoire variety to keep the audience intrigued. The trombone feature after the ballad was so awesome. Very loud too. The dynamic contrast they play with is so nuanced. Really loved the overall program.

4. Crown is extremely musical, but the visual does not back it up very well. The guard is superb. Best they’ve been in years.

5. Phantom and Mandarins are so different, but both were very enjoyable productions. Mandarins ballad live is so special. They just play with such passion.

6. Troopers were a step up from last time I saw the show 2 weeks ago. Guard is getting better and they have a wonderful sound. Got chills during the harmonica solo. 
7. Pacific Crest has a clear enough storyline to take them to finals night, but they need to enhance their performance expression to stay ahead of the Blue Knights.

Other favorites would have to be the Colts and Spirit. Both shows were very entertaining. Colts have a show that just makes you happy. Overall it was a great day of performances, and I really think that this year in particular is one where the shows (while mostly pretty safe) are consistently enjoyable.

Define safe?

7 hours ago, Tony L. said:

So everyone ended where we thought.  Ho hum.  I still think the Crown and Phantom designs are nothing burgers.  Too talented to do these insipid shows.

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how unfounded it is…

I happen to think both shows are outstanding but who am I?

Edited by Crown 1990
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Big Bird said:

Bluecoats just need to clean and they will be rewarded. Just like last year, their climb started when they were clean. Cleanliness drives GE, drives captions, drives scoring. They can win Visual which is what is required to beat the Blue Devils. Guard is in a great spot. Visual Analysis is in a great spot. Visual proficiency will skyrocket when the show is clean. 

I understand how it works, but it's not only the Bluecoats who have more cleaning to do. Boston can win visual, Blue Devils can win visual. Boston can win guard, Blue Devils can win guard. Blue Devils can win everything. I'd love Bluecoats to win, but I believe we'll see BD in 1st and Boston in 2nd at Indy.