Battle At The Alamo(dome) - July 22,2023

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Mandarins are playing with house money. Out of everyone currently in the top 7, Mandarins are the only one that wasn't supposed to be here. 

They had their highest regional finish ever last night, they are four points higher than at this point last season, and their highest score ever in world class 90.013 (2022 finals night) is about to be obliterated. 

Phantom and/or Cadets passing them for 5th is not a diss or a bad thing. The simple fact that we are TALKING about those corps possibly passing Mandarins for 5th is a major accomplishment. 

Of everyone in the top 7, Mandarins have nothing to lose as again no one thought they would be here. They need to just let loose, throw everything and the kitchen sink at this show, and whatever happens, it's all good. 

Cause at the end of the of the day, anything higher than 10th at finals, is another record breaker in their corps history. 

^^^ THIS^^^ Right on the money!

• Thanks 2

Still plenty of time for surprises this season.

Bloo surged late season 2022, snagged the Sanford, and tied for 2nd… twice. Now their guard has everyone taking notice. They’re still in this fight and could have two sections leading by Indy. 

BAC took brass last night and their percussion was only topped by Cavies’ superstars. Is Boston’s guard aiming for a later peak? They have the goods. Visually BAC’s show is coming alive under the dome and lights, and GE is beginning to gel. 

BD has a lock on GE and is at/near the top in everything else. They’re still the heavy favorite, and remain undefeated. 

Crown’s dark horse status is intact, and they can still be a spoiler for brass, guard, and MA. There are likely more moments under construction to pull together their GE. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I think people take for granted how weird some of these corps and their styles already are…

Like - Bloo’s show is objectively strange. It’s not strange for Bloo right now, but who else is doing what they’re doing? I get wanting them to change things up, but I’ve noticed that we only really seem to demand this of the corps that have already proven themselves to be forward thinking and are now comfortable in their style. I totally get asking corps like Bloo and BD to think even further outside of the box and abandon their formulas, but honestly, why is it always on them? 

I don’t think it’s solely on them, there have been cries and YELLS for corps like Crown and Phantom to do that for a while now. For Bloo and BD it’s tricky because for me it doesn’t have to be “get weirder” but more so try to depart some from their formulas, they have a wide range of options to take their directions too than most corps it appears.

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Mandarins are playing with house money. Out of everyone currently in the top 7, Mandarins are the only one that wasn't supposed to be here. 

They had their highest regional finish ever last night, they are four points higher than at this point last season, and their highest score ever in world class 90.013 (2022 finals night) is about to be obliterated. 

Phantom and/or Cadets passing them for 5th is not a diss or a bad thing. The simple fact that we are TALKING about those corps possibly passing Mandarins for 5th is a major accomplishment. 

Of everyone in the top 7, Mandarins have nothing to lose as again no one thought they would be here. They need to just let loose, throw everything and the kitchen sink at this show, and whatever happens, it's all good. 

Cause at the end of the of the day, anything higher than 10th at finals, is another record breaker in their corps history. 

Oh yeah, no of course they are reaching heights they haven’t before and they should be lauded for that. I definitely thought they had a lower ceiling than what’s played out so far, so it’s been more than a successful season for sure👀

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I think people take for granted how weird some of these corps and their styles already are…

Like - Bloo’s show is objectively strange. It’s not strange for Bloo right now, but who else is doing what they’re doing? 

The Blue Stars. 
Bluecoats have the buds and Blue Stars has the booze. :doh::laugh:

Sorry if someone addressed this in an earlier post but with thousands of comments I might have missed part of the conversation.

I noticed (but forgot about) Troopers don't have their sun prop activated the entire time like they did early season.  I think it's effective to turn it on and off to emphasize transitions between musical sections.

What say you?  Why did Troopers change the way the sun prop is used?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Cadets are historically synonymous with late season surges I do think 5th is within their reach is they can make necessary tweaks/changes.

Sadly, it’s easily been 14 years since this was true. If anything, Cadets have have more recently had the opposite problem, coming into Finals and dropping over the next few nights.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

@spacewill @MandarinMom @DAYGO @Metalbinky @Jnecker  @Maleguena1988

I just want to salute our kids and say how proud I am of all the performers who absolutely killed it today! 

Never in a million years did I think I would be a DCI Dad, but seeing my boy out there tonight, giving it his very best and bringing 14,000 to their feet, I wouldn't trade this feeling I have right now for anything. 

I hope all of you are just as proud as I am. 

MAJOR kudos and respect to all the performers! I am still a DCI mom, although my son aged out of SCV some years ago. I, too am bursting with pride as he is on staff with Mandarins and trust me….the texts and phone calls are also thrilled and celebratory! What an amazing summer for members and staff!! 

• Like 6