Corps in the Heat at Mesquite (TX) - July 24, 2023

9 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Pacific Crest lost ZERO sub captions to Crossmen on Saturday. ZERO. Tonight, they lost SEVEN sub captions to Bones...

What is the big fuss about? It's one show. And THIS is exactly what should happen night to night. People complain when scores and placements are too consistent and then they complain when a night like tonight happens. What do you want?

• Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I LOVE the - on any given day, call it like you see it - approach. LOVE it. I wish placements would change more. Otherwise, the most important contest of the season is the first one. After that they’re slotted and nothing can change?  NO WAY!!!  Bring on the chaos!!

Exactly. Scores should fluctuate and be based on any given night. I think it's much more BS when scores and placements never fluctuate. We're talking 150 people here. The judges can only see/hear so much of the show. A brass judge cannot in any way listen to each individual player. Therefore, one night a judge might miss the issues and another night the judge might capture the issues. It's the same across all captions. No one is perfect night after night, people have good shows and bad shows, and when changes are made it takes time to clean.

Look at BD vs SCV in 2017 and how night after night BD would beat SCV by the narrowest of gaps. You can't tell me on at least one of those nights SCV wasn't the one who was slighty better.

• Like 2

As a Boston supporter,  I have no complaints about the judging or scores.  I know BAC continues to work hard through this historic heat, just like everybody else, and their show continues to get better and excite people.   This is drum corps!

• Like 7

These fluctuations tell me that d.c.i. judges are mere mortals, we have a bunch of new ones, captions are very subjective, and all "experts" evaluate their world differently. (ex. health experts, the Supreme Court, economists)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Pacific Crest lost ZERO sub captions to Crossmen on Saturday. ZERO. Tonight, they lost SEVEN sub captions to Bones...

My understanding with Crossmen this year is that there is talent but members are young and not experienced as far as drum corps is concerned. It’s also my understanding that staff expected it would be a slow start with steady improvement as the season progressed. Yes, I know we hear that all the time with various corps and more often than not it doesn’t happen, but it has happened with Crossmen before, and it could be happening this year. It will be interesting to see what happens this week and in Atlanta.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

What is the big fuss about? It's one show. And THIS is exactly what should happen night to night. People complain when scores and placements are too consistent and then they complain when a night like tonight happens. What do you want?

Translation - chaos is great if it benefits my favorite corps (or multiple corps).  It sucks if it benefits others instead.  🙄

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Here’s hoping for continued chaos, call-it-like-you-see-it scoring. Makes it WAY more fun as a competitive component. 

I used to love the earliest PBS broadcasts which were live. This was pre-internet and pre-cellphone so most likely you did not know who all the finalists would be or the order of appearance except that the previous champions would complete last no matter where they placed in prelims. I remember the big shocks: the disqualifications of Muchachos and Bridgemen. There were other smaller surprises too, Kilties over Garfield and BAC in 78, Troopers returning in 79, SCV out of the top 3 in 1980. Soon there would be few surprises as to who the finalists would be and further down, who would place where. There still can be surprises. Though I enjoy Blue Stars even though they do not venture to the Boston area and your souvie people tell me “next year,” when Crossmen edged them out in 2012 it was pandemonium in Indy. Madison folks may not share the joy of Boston Crusaders squeezing into finals in 2016, but it was exciting.

My guess is Blue Devils is not comfortable with one point separating them from BAC. BAC is not thrilled Crown won last night and both BAC and Crown do not expect Bloo to be sitting comfortably in 4th. 5-7 I expect Phantom, Mandarins, and Cadets to be 5-7, but there will be movement until Indy, 8-11 will have movement. I had Pacific Crest as a solid 12th place, but BK are making noise and Crossmen may surprise everyone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Exactly. Well put.  Us old timers like to call it competitive inertia….

2 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Because what we (In general) are really saying is we want scores and placement chaos.............as long as my favorite corps isn't negatively impacted by it each night. 

• Like 5