Why is Jersey Surf even still a world class corps?

Class structure is about funding, operational abilities, and support structure.   You can't be demoted once promoted UNLESS you've had to take a couple seasons off to regroup and rebuild your organizational structure.  

They have a style, a staff, a board, a support structure, and students who desire to march there.   You don't like it... ok.  Move along.   But stating that the group offers nothing to the activity only shows your own ignorance.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

All I can say is that if they meet the criteria, why post something like this?  You know, someone has to be last and if they are providing a great learning/fun time for it's members who cares?

• Like 4

Everything is financial.

Pioneer moved to World Class in 1997 and spent most of their 20+ years as the bottom dwellers of the World Class, usually even losing to multiple Open corps every year. But they stayed cuz of money.

DCI doesn't give a sht about Open Class. To me, that's the bottom line.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

DCI doesn't give a sht about Open Class. To me, that's the bottom line.

this is the note.   Open class pays you ZERO $0.   And if you're in a mixed class show, you get a few nickels.  The Open Class rights and privileges' are that you are allowed to perform under the DCI umbrella.  that's it.  Its one step nicer than Soundsport where you have to pay to perform, AND you have to buy a discounted ticket for your members to get into the show.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Having just seen Surf last night, the kind of instruction I saw in the lot, the program they gave to challenge and educate the kids, and the fun they all seemed to have doing it...I'd say "because the activity is not all about competitive gains."  

They regionalized their tour this year to avoid going under financially.  That means they waiting until the tour got east enough to join in with the other World Class corps.  In the interim, they joined some Open Class and DCA shows to get feedback on their show.  I don't have a problem with that.  Had they tried to haul the whole way to San Antonio, they might not have had the money to continue THIS year let alone next year.

They're advertising a "join us on the field and march free with us in 2024" at their souvie booth.  So they're obviously lining up income from outside of member fees somewhere and making the activity financially accessible for marchers that would be otherwise shut out of the activity. That's more than I see those 'climbing the competitive ladder' doing to keep the activity accessible financially.  And that includes some Open Class corps with ambitions of building to World Class.

They've also launched a Mobile Music Lab that reaches out to their community to engage kids in music creation. In a time when schools are gutting the arts education in the areas they take that Lab, again, they're making music eduction the heart of their organizational mission.  

I find that refreshing and exciting and want to see it continue. 

Frankly we may not be far from seeing the lines between World Class, Open Class, and DCA/all age change anyway.   

If 'winning is the only purpose to march' Surf may baffle you.  If "music education for all" is a part of drum corps activity ANYWHERE anymore...Surf is planting their flag there.  I dropped cash in their bowl at the souvie tent even though I didn't find any merch I really wanted.  Although the bucket beach hats were tempting!  

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I see Surf as sort of the Academy of the east. Always enjoyable, entertaining and the kids just look like they're having a blast performing, similar to Music City.. More power to 'em. 

• Like 1

In an era when people constantly bemoan how few corps there are, why berate a corps that's out there doing it every year. If they're "barely maing semi-fials", doesn't that mean that they're in semi-finals? That's an accomplishment. The fact that they continue to put out an entertaining product and serve their members is an accomplishment. I think we need to allow corps to work to their ability and suppport and applaud them for doing so.

• Like 8